black water tank upgrade

Author
Travco Model: 220

black water tank upgrade

Unread post by aktravcoer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:27 pm

hello all in travco land, been busy lately getting ready for the winter, and as I dump my holding tank for the last time this year, was wondering if anyone has tried upgrading to a two tank (gray and black water) waste water holding tank system. also, does anyone know what the capacity of the stock holding tank is? I have gotten by with about one and a half freshwater tanks before I dumped, but was just wondering how close I was cutting it. pretty sure my fresh water is a 20 gallon tank.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: black water tank upgrade

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Personally I like the singe system better. All mine have had the single tank. There are pros and cons to both.\nSingle system Pros:\nHolds more as you use full capacity of tank where as with split system the grey water fills up alot faster than the black water.\nEase of dumping. Again alot of times on the split tanks if you don't have enough water in the black side it can be difficult to dump as the solids build up.\nCons:\nYou cannot hook up at a campground that has grey water only hookups. You also can't "leak a little grey water out" if full(you shouldn't anyway but people do).\nI know my 1970 220 had a bigger holding tank than my 75 270. The 1970 220 had a fiberglass holding tank. The con to it was the outlet was on the back and from road bouncing it had broken more than a few times. I had to build extra supports for it.\n\nIt would require a major re plumb to switch over and I personally don't see the advantage but that is your choice. If you change over then Only the head will be plumbed to the Black water side and everything else to Grey. I think Travco went to the split tank somewhere around 76+ as 77 Travco has a split tank.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Unread post by aktravcoer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:06 pm

I'm thinking more that I am not going to be able to drive it out of the spot I have it parked at in the winter, and wanted to be able to leak a little gray (mostly for doing dishes), and transfer my black water to one of those portable tanks, going to try not to use the toilet, except in middle of the night emergencies. After considering your post, might just flush the main holding tank out really good and take out the normal toilet and replace with a porta loo for the winter. Not too concerned with the campground hook up thing, if your staying at an rv campground in Alaska, why are you rving in Alaska!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Post a pic of your current holding tank. Curious which one you have. Also I did forget something. My 1970 220 had an electramagic recirculating toilet so that helps alot. It actually holds quite a bit.

Unread post by aktravcoer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:49 pm

here is a few pics of my tank, was kind of wondering what the big cut out was for, my guess is just for access to the gas lines. were these tanks made specifically for travcos? on another issue, looks like im going to have to drop the tank to get the back two screws to get the furnace out. I installed a tee valve thing so I could hook up an external propane tank, and when I hooked everything back up and went to light the pilot, it sounded like a shotgun going off and charred my hand, so I decided to pull the furnace with a modern replacement likely! I know you've said it before, but be careful with propane! the charred picture of my hand is AFTER I washed it off to check for blood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Wow, yeah lucky it wasn't worse. Sounds like the thermocoupler is not doing what it is supposed to. I have a newer electronic ignition furnace I eventually put in mine but the old Dynatrail is still working.\nThat tank is the ABS one Travco started using. The cutout was for the 270s. That is where the shower drain comes through which yours does not have.

Return to “Travco 220”