Nessie's work on hold again.

Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Nessie's work on hold again.

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:20 am

Well it seems every time I have the time to work on the old girl it ends up raining. Nessie is on a jack stand waiting for her new steering box and borgensen joint. I also have a Fitech EFI unit to get installed, A header leak to fix, A new mini-starter from 440 source is on its way here ( While I have the left header off might as well get the old monster out), and New front shocks. There is a ton of other work to be done including pulling the rear drums and inspecting and replacing anything the needs to be replaced, and of course some interior work. It may be I start working on her in the evenings after work as there is some daylight now.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nessie's work on hold again.

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:37 am

Also going to add a new starting battery, The run from the generator battery is longer than I like and I have that compartment in the front bumper That looks like it was a battery tray. The local county Chamber of Commerce is having a fund raising cruise-in in June and I think we will roll an Unfinished Nessie in. First camping trip is in April, Second in May, a third in July. and a fourth in September and a fifth planned for November over Thanksgiving. All the time inbetween will be working on getting things finished.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:33 am

As I like to be a know-it all..\nwhat da' heck is a borgensen joint???\nnever stop wanting to learn. \nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:23 pm

It is an universal joint/ vibration damper that replaces the factory pot joint in the steering shaft.\n\nImage\nDodge pot joint for steering linkage\n\nImage\nBorgenson joint in a Travco\n\nborgeson part number 034940 is the right one for the Travco.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:26 pm

Nice post... Mine is a bit different. Due to a situation with the POS mechanic that did the work..., the part numbers were refused to be given to me... here is a pic of my coupling and I believe it was a Mopar part product...\nSorry...no number for it...\nYour part number has been included into my ongoing posted Travco parts listing... \nThanks \nBBB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:59 am

badbillybiker wrote:Nice post... Mine is a bit different. Due to a situation with the POS mechanic that did the work..., the part numbers were refused to be given to me... here is a pic of my coupling and I believe it was a Mopar part product...\nSorry...no number for it...\nYour part number has been included into my ongoing posted Travco parts listing... \nThanks \nBBB
\n\nWhat you have there is a factory pot joint like in the first picture. It only looks different because it is a breakdown. The second picture I posted is the borgeson. The borgeson uses a U-joint where the pot joint uses lots of little pieces to make the bend,

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Nice day today. Pulled the steering box out with its mounting bracket. Discovered I either have to buy a shaft for the borgeson joint or cut the old shaft off at the pot joint. I dont have any cutting wheels at the house so that did not happen. I needed to run out and get a ball joint fork to get the drag link loose from the pitman arm. On the way home from Advance where I got the tool my Subarus Alternator decided to quit charging. I figured no big deal I have a spare at the house and I can change it when I get some time. Went to move my truck and it wouldn't start. No spark, damn I was going to let the subaru sit and use my truck for work. Pull off the travco to change the alternator on the roo and it is fixed. The new steering box for the travco is bolted up to its bracket and the pitman arm is back on. the bracket is still on the driveway. Did a little troubleshooting on the truck and either the coil or the ignition module. Someone used a GM ignition module on My old Dodge truck and I was going to go back to the factory ignition but decided today was not the day with the way my luck was running. Have to be in work early tomorrow so I stopped until I figure out what to do with the new joint and the steering shaft.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:24 pm

Oh yeah, only two more weekends to work on her until the first camping trip this year.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Today was a productive day. New steering box is in with the Borgeson joint. Finally got that left header loose for a gasket change. I need to order some header bolts to get it back together. Took advantage of the header being out to replace the old monster starter with a High torque Mini starter. Old starter cable was a hair too short but in my parts bin was a Subaru Outback starter cable that worked well. Tomorrow will be cleaning the header flange, replacing the right front shock, and putting the radiator back in. (easiest way to get to the steering box mounts bolts was through the grill. \n\nImage\n\nImage\n\nImage

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Image\n\nImage\n\nImage\n\nImage

Return to “Travco 270”