How did I get 3 RV's?

Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1972270 commerical travler

How did I get 3 RV's?

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:55 pm

As some of you know I started with a 72 Two Door a year or two ago. I started working on it and have had tons of problems with the ignition. About the time I was going to just scrap it I found a 76 Travco a couple hours south of here. It has a 440 with many upgrades, factor air conditioning, factor cruise control, disc brakes up front and lots of other cool parts I want to use on my '72. But as life goes, since I got the '76 home I have been derailed by some crazy events. \n\nThe widow lady across the way had some issues and called me of all people to help her out. In the process of getting her squared away she asked me if I would rehab the doors of "the shop" that sit way out across the field. It was her husbands shop where he serviced the dump trucks and equipment for his building site preparation business. I was shocked to find out there is a shop right across the street from me that is big enough to hold two dump trucks and has a loft. Its great. but it was in bad shape and FULL of parts, trash and all manner of things. It has taken me over 5 months to get it to a point that I can now pull a Travco in and start working on it.\n\nSo here's the kicker: Last Saturday I hooked up my tow bar to the 76 to pull it across to the shop. Ran out of time and figured I'd do it Sunday. Then early Sunday morning I was surfing craigslist and I spotted an add that said "free RV". turns out a guy not far from my house was giving away a 1972 Dodge Challenger RV. I went over there and looked it over. its dirty but all there and according to him it has a freshly rebuilt 413 in it. he said his dad had it rebuilt about 10 years ago, they drove it twice, about 500 miles and parked it. Its been sitting for 10 years along side of his house...

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: How did I get 3 RV's?

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:13 pm

I measured the frame, seen that its the same as the Travco's and said I'd be back. I went home, got my drill, the big bit and went back. Within an hour I had it hooked up to the truck and started pulling it home. The trip was only about 10 miles and all went well. It pulled easy. I took it straight to the shop and parked it behind the shop. As I was unhitching it my wife and youngest daughter came around the shop to look at the latest addition to my growing RV herd. While we were looking it over, I made the comment that maybe if this one starts up and runs well, maybe I would just fix this one up and we'd use it instead of the Travco's. My daughter shook her head no, and my wife shocked me when she said "Uhmm, No. I'm a Travco girl now, I don't like the way this one looks, just use the engine and get the two door Travco on the road."
72 Dodge Challenger RV.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:20 pm

So- now what do I do? I know that I am going to stick with the my 72 two door. But, do I pull the 440 and clean it up, drop a GM HEI distributor in and install that and continue on with the refurbishing of the 72 or do I pull the fresh 413 out of the Dodge Challenger RV and go with that? \n\nI got the 413 from the challenger started, it runs smooth and quiet. I am so tempted to just use it, but parts, and power and cruise control are pulling me back to the 440...\n\nThe challenger also has reclining plush driver and passenger seats with arm rest. Those are going it for sure.\n\nSo- that's how I ended up with 3 Dodge powered RV's. But now what to do, what to do.... such a good problem to have!

Technician
Technician
Travco Model: N/A (Site Tech!)

Unread post by PrivatePilot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Interesting projects...following. :)
- Travcoforum Website Administrator\n- Helping a friend - check out Duckies Longarm Quilting in the Oshawa / Durham Region area! www.duckiesquilting.com

Travco Model: Mahal 2+2

Unread post by dodgetimes2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:40 am

Put the 440 and all the power goodies from the 76 in your 72. Part out the Challenger RV to help finance repairs/upgrades on your 72.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon May 01, 2017 9:21 am

Kinda like cats... You only intend to have one and end up with 3 or 4. :lol:

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:25 pm

So I got the GM HEI distributor in the mail the other day. The 440 is on its stand already to go. I have two new engine mounts, new oil filter, new air filter, new distributer... now for some plug wires and new radiator hoses, I will be ready to install the 440 into the 72. \n\nI guess I may wait a bit to see if I can transfer the under dash A/C. The doghouse is taller in the 72 which puts it up "in" the dash area where the A/C blower and cooling tower is. I may mess with that this weekend to see if I can get it to fit. if not I will come back to that problem later.\n\nI have to finish stripping down the 76'. still need to remove all of the glass and dash parts and steering for transfer to the 72. then the axles....\n\nanyone know the part number for the transmission mount? I want to have a new one as both of mine seem pretty crusty. If I cant buy it I am thinking of rebuilding it with the pourable resin stuff. pretty good articles out there on how to make your own mounts...\n\nanyone want to buy windshields for a 76 Travco? guess I should make an available parts list and post it up in the parts for sale section....

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri May 05, 2017 5:00 am

Here is the trans mount. Not cheap but it is the right one.\nhttps://www.ebay.com/p/Dodge-Motor-Home-REAR-Mo ... 1129933688

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:44 am

Wow... I wonder if those are NOS or if he's making them in his basement?... \n\nWe haven't found a similar mount from Napa or something? Its odd that the engine mounts are available and super cheap, but that simple tranny mount seems to be like hens teeth.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri May 05, 2017 10:59 am

They appear to be new as I have purchased 2 of them. He probably has a source that makes them. I have not been able to locate them anywhere else.

Return to “Travco 270”