Dropped my gas tank today

Author
Travco Model:

Re: Dropped my gas tank today

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:18 am

A few pics of the tank out again and the aluminum fuel line that I ran.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:30 am

looks like the answer? to dropping the tank unesessarily?\nWith a narrow sending unit, looks I can cut a hole in the floor from\nthe inside or top... and access the sender... what say ye'?\nNo longer enjoying kneeling... if a good idea, will rip the post\nfor both the pic's n part numbers... and no, not 'fraid to cut the floor..\nBBB

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:00 pm

Got to pull my tank for clean out and inspection (never been done in its 45 year life). Probably replace the sender for good measure, and am thinking about putting a high pressure in-tank electric pump just in-case I convert it to EFI...\n Have any of you done a chemical clean out of the tank and perhaps a coating/sealing on the inside. I think that POR15 has a kit for this, but am curious if any of you have done it. http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-R ... _p_62.html\nMy thought about coating the inside is to prevent any rust from the inside due to water from E10 fuel.\n 77: What was the primary reason for running the new hard line for the fuel, and why aluminum rather than steel?

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:18 pm

POR-15 FAQ might have answered my sealing question.\n "SHOULD I ALWAYS USE A FUEL TANK SEALER AFTER \nTHOROUGHLY CLEANING OUT MY TANK?\n No. Fuel tank sealer should be used as a last resort, and is not always necessary. Fuel tanks that are rust-free and \nhave no pinholes or leaks may not need sealing at all. They should, however, always be kept full of gasoline, which prevents condensation and further rusting. If vehicles are not used frequently, fuel tanks should be treated with POR-15 FUEL PRESERVATIVE/STABILIZER, which will keep fuel fresh for more than two years and insure quick starts even after months of non-use."

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:02 pm

Dodgy71 wrote:Got to pull my tank for clean out and inspection (never been done in its 45 year life). Probably replace the sender for good measure, and am thinking about putting a high pressure in-tank electric pump just in-case I convert it to EFI...\n Have any of you done a chemical clean out of the tank and perhaps a coating/sealing on the inside. I think that POR15 has a kit for this, but am curious if any of you have done it. http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-R ... _p_62.html\nMy thought about coating the inside is to prevent any rust from the inside due to water from E10 fuel.\n 77: What was the primary reason for running the new hard line for the fuel, and why aluminum rather than steel?
\nI would take a dirty tank to an a radiator shop. They have the ability to properly clean the tank. I would not coat the interior with any anything.\nI used aluminum fuel line because its way easier to work with.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:53 am

Well this stinks...\nI put in 9 gallons of fuel (1/8 tank) and the needle stayed just left of the E.\nI put in 9 more gallons (1/4 tank) and the needle went to the E\nI put in 18 more gallons (1/2 tank) and the needle points at the 1/4 mark.\n\nMy tank measures 12"x27"x52" which comes out to 16,848 cubic inches. That translates to 72.9 Gallons.\n\nI verified the gauge to match the sender at E, 1/2 and F before I put it in. I may still fill it to 3/4 and then to full to see where it reads but I think I will just live with it. I give up at this point. :roll:

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Any possibility that the tank is poorly grounded when installed?

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:05 am

No, I ran a #12 copper stranded from one of the sender unit screws to the frame. Not a ground issue... more like a "installer setting it up correctly" issue. :)

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by diskman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:19 am

77Travco wrote:
Dodgy71 wrote:Got to pull my tank for clean out and inspection (never been done in its 45 year life).
\n\nI would take a dirty tank to an a radiator shop. They have the ability to properly clean the tank. I would not coat the interior with any anything.\nI used aluminum fuel line because its way easier to work with.
\n\n\nWe had 3 great radiator shops in town a while ago. There are only 2 left and all they seem to do is mail order radiators. My gas gauge is funky and I am sure that a tank tip with a outer spray of Por15 would be awesome. But, nobody in town has the setup to dip anymore.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:14 am

Most times anymore... it's about da' money... No more friendly neighborhood good will...\nand besides if it leaks upon installation, can always explain shoddy work on the USPS damage...\nAfter the tank is out, get muriatic acid (for the pool folks) or hydrocloric acid for the chemically \nminded and after donning goggles, gloves (rubber) and a rubber apron, slather/slop a good coating all \nover the outside of the tank. A soda/water mix rinse will neautralize the acid. \nLet dry and paint with POR. Will be cheaper in the long run and you will do a better job...\nIf mine doesn't leak, it will not be dropped...JMO\nBBB

Return to “Travco 270”