High amp alternator

Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

High amp alternator

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:19 am

Well today is the day I finally get back to the alternator fitting. It has been a while but between family commitments and health issues I will be happy to be getting to it. July 4th is the first trip this year and I have free weekends up to then. If the alternator fits and works out the next step will be the fitech fuel injection system I purchased 2 1/2 years ago but held off installing due to the alternators failing. The thermoquad will keep running with a bad alternator but ihe fuel injection will stop working if it drops below 12 volts. I will update whether it works or not later. The alternator is a Mopar unit that chrysler used for 2 years in 88 and 89. it is rated at 50/120 amps just like the Denso unit that replaced it in 90.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: High amp alternator

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:13 pm

Good news is the alternator will fit in the right spot. Bad news is the adjuster mount is not long enough or curved enough to clear the external fan. More bad news the spacer sleeve on the mounting bolt for the adjuster bracket was seized to the bolt. More bad news, cancelling the camping trip in 3 weeks due to water damage, Mold on the mattress and some on the wainscotting up front. That is what happens when they sit a year closed up. Hoping to get her ready for a trip in september but some gutting and leaks to find.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: High amp alternator

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:53 pm

This was the test fit. The alternator fits well but the adjuster bracket is too short and straight. I ordered a universal one that is longer and has more of a curve on the end to clear the external fan. The other end can be redrilled to fit. New bolts are also needed. Kind of disappointed about the camping trip but it is what it s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Travco 270”