Got this "Ole Gal" running, Now what......

Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270

Got this "Ole Gal" running, Now what......

Unread post by Ryemaddamazin » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:12 pm

:D :D she's , as in my 72 270 that had been stored our in the open in northern California for 20 years, is RUNNIN FELLERS!!!! To my great surprise after going thru the whole (prettyuch) ignition system i.e coil, control unit, breaker point condenser, capacitor for coil, one slightly newish spark cable, cleaned the plugs, changed the oil, and cleaned her up a bit. Added water and unhooked frozen shifted to linkage or throttle cable at the tranny( thinking about putting a shifter knob on some all-thread bend it in the right places and put it on the shifter arm on the tranny and call it a autowannamanual.)
Ohhh and when plugs were out I did the whole marvel's mystery oil. Mmo. down the plugs holes into cylinders and done the whole mmo procedure.
Got new plugs and wires on the way.
So my question is what NOWWWWW??? My brake pedal goes to the flood with a like resistance now but nothing measurable is big ole brakes like this. I done filled a empty desert dry master cylinder. And I think it's probably empty it shot alot back out the top I believe. So MC and start sourcing wheel cylinders and springs and pads.
But what else and any suggestions tips must or must nots for this 20 years below cold start break-in???
Thanks for all the help in addddv
The travco kid

Travco Model: dodge mahal,1970

Re: Got this "Ole Gal" running, Now what......

Unread post by raydsimmons » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:36 pm

bleed the brakes before you get into the wheel cylinders. get a really good socket to free up the bleeder valves, NOT a pair of pliers or an open ended wrench or vice grips !!! it will take some time to get all the air out. you might also have a hydro boost problem. if you are not familiar with it leave that to professionals. if you do happen to have to replace the wheel cylinders be prepared to replace at the least a few feet of rusty brake line.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:53 pm

72 is going to be a Hydrovac. Both boosters will need bleeding as well

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Ryemaddamazin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:44 pm

Hey guys. She's running and running like a champ. Purrs like a kitten.really surprising. But to the brakes...ok so I can't get them to bleed at all.i haven't bleed the master yet but the pedal feels good. And i got it to bleed a bit in the back but after that nada. So i order wheel cylinders my lines look good and I cannot fir the life of me find a new or rebuilt master. Please help me source pnd

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:57 pm

Have you bled the Hydrovacs under the rig?

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Ryemaddamazin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:01 am

Nope! I figured since the backs bled a bit they might be ok. But I cant get nothing out of nothing now. Except occasional slow moving air bubble. Little tiny air bible about every few minutes. And I haven't bleed my master cylinder either. Trying to figure out the redneck way to do it.. I got new master cylinderaon the way. The brakes wirk a small bit but im counting on the e brake to stop when i have to move her for street sweeping and what not !!!!!! Good Ole California ;( does anyone have a new current confirmed source for a master cylinder or the actual napa part number thsts been confirmed and is still sold by them. I know alretta but I aint paying 250 more for a lil adapter. I mean wow. And also a cheap source for front abd rear wheel hardware kits. I've found some but don't like tge price. And back to MC i know about centric s MC 180.83006 bit my authorized centric dealer here in Berkeley says the LA warehouse says no dice and the like for summit rockauto and somewhere else for centric MC. SOLD OUTOUTOUT. thanks fellers o got pics to come of tge progress soon. Much love to my travco family
The travco kid

Return to “Travco 270”