Tranmission Shift selection ISSUE 1974 270 RM400 Chassis

Author
Travco Model: 1974 270 Mahal

Tranmission Shift selection ISSUE 1974 270 RM400 Chassis

Unread post by KeenLalou2 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:06 pm

Looking for information on the transmission shift selector at the transmission. The dash shift lever is original. The transmission is a recent replacement, third one in the life of the unit. The shop (AAMCO) Can't seem to get the connection correct to have first gear, Park and neutral at the proper location all at one time.
I suspect the shift lever and shaft at the trans is incorrect for the application.

I was employed by Chrysler in 1974 at the transmission plant in Kokomo IN as a resident engineer. That plant built all the RV stuff stateside. I can vaguely recall several different configurations for the 727 RV trans - but do not and can not find info on the shift lever and shaft. Really wish I had my 3x5 cheat-sheet card!! That is the information I am looking for. Anyone with some sources? help?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Tranmission Shift selection ISSUE 1974 270 RM400 Chassis

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:39 am

I would hazard a guess as possibly wrong shift arm at the trans although I thought they were all very similar. It is a simple cable system. Is it possible AAmaco has the cable anchored in the wrong position?

Unread post by KeenLalou2 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:01 am

I am also pretty sure that they have the incorrect shift arm at the transmission. My recollection is that there were seven different shift arms - but that was/is a 45 year old memory. I am "sure" the RV transmission, and the heavy duty truck transmission were different in many ways from the cars - both internally and externally.

Really looking for some hard data - spec sheets - from the era, or really for the RM400 series of 73/74 so that I can talk specifics to the AAMCO' youngins. All of the mechanics are about ten years younger than the vehicle. Without an RS232 connection or a computer they tend to be lost and in need of some old-timer training :roll: .

Any help greatly appreciated.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:04 pm

I think the RS232 might be a but before their time also. Now here is the question, Does the shifter not engage low 1 when the park position is lined up? ie in 2 when in 1 position? Or does the shifter stop in the 2 position and be in first? That would determine whether you need a longer or shorter arm. What happened to the arm that came off? If they rebuilt the transmission what happened to the shift arm that came off?

Unread post by KeenLalou2 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:57 pm

All good questions.
No real answers yet.
Figure they didn't really rebuild the transmission. Likely they did a swap. And by the time I got it figured out that 1st was really there - the transmission was long gone to the re-builder far far away.

Still working with the shop, AAMCO.They claim it will be ready soon.

On to the next project if I can get "FREIGHT TRAIN

Anyone have a procedure for removing the Onan from the cubby-hole on the passenger's side underneath the bed of the 1974 or there abouts 270?
I have the original TRAVCO owner'smanual and a M300 through RM400 Dodge Motor Home Chassis manual. But nothing really gives me a good ideal how to get the genpac out.
Best process so far is to remove the door, and saw out the lower body panel to slide the genpac out. HELP PLEASE

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:48 pm

Which gen pack do you have? The cck can be removed through the door with an engine hoist. The NH power drawers frame bolts to the chassis and doesn't have anything under it. Engine hoist is recommended to pull it but there is less in the way

Unread post by KeenLalou2 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:50 am

Onan CCK 6.5

Last time I was measuring the application and my engine hoist. The hoist was too tall. The top beam interfered with the upper door frame. Guess I can look for a shorter, or adjustable hoist - or jack up the RV.

2nd? Do you know if there is a tool used to adjust the carburator main jet on the CCK? It gets right HOT trying to get your fingers between the base of the carb and top of the motor. Contemplating what I have to make, to adjust the carb without second degree burns

Return to “Travco 270”