Alternator gauge?

Author

Alternator gauge?

Unread post by LLindell » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks to you folks we were able to find & troubleshoot the temp gauge. Now, the next issue to be tackled is the ALT GAUGE. How do you troubleshoot it? I printed the wiring diagram on this site but husband doesn't really understand the drawing (he isn't a motorhead!). Thanks for the help.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Alternator gauge?

Unread post by Acesneights » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:54 pm

The factory amp gauge IMHO is pretty much worthless. I'd just get an aftermarket volt gauge and install it.\nI like Autometer myself.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

LLindell

Unread post by LLindell » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:09 pm

Thanks. Probably the best idea.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:23 pm

My factory ampmeter works but as stated above... it's really kinda useless. I mean, it just indicates "charging" or "discharging" but that doesn't really tell me much.\nI added an aftermarket voltage gauge so I can see what voltage my engine battery is at.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1966 Model 270

Unread post by Fellchase » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:40 am

I disagree on the amp gauge thing. \nItbisctruecthatvthe amp gauge has been problematic. \nBut if you compare voltage gauge and amp gauge here is the difference. \nOn a volt gauge you see system voltage. \nThat voltage does not change quickly...that is...if alt quit charging you battery still charged for a while and you die slowly. With the alt gauge you can see no charge (amps) IMMEDIATELY no matter what the voltage. \nI think I want to do both amps and volts. \nEnjoy. \nCAF

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Fellchase » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:02 am

Fellchase wrote:I disagree on the amp gauge thing. \nIt is true that amp gauge has been problematic. \nFull current goes thru it. \nThat was bad when the path included that bulkhead connector on firewall of Mopar cars and trucks. \n66 Travco has no bulkhead connector. Amp gauge original as is wiring 50 years old still working. \nCompare voltage gauge and amp gauge here is the difference. \nOn a volt gauge you see system voltage. \nThat voltage Cannot change quickly...that is...if alt quit charging you battery still charged for a while and you die slowly. With the alt gauge you can see no charge (amps) IMMEDIATELY no matter what the voltage. \nI think I want to do gauges for both amps and volts. \nEnjoy. \nCAF

Travco Model: 1969 Mahal

Unread post by turbinebronze » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:38 pm

I would be cautious using the amp gauge...we almost lost a Dodge fire truck because all the electrical current had to pass thru the dash, then power up the lights that were on! The wiring started to melt under the dash, filling the cab up with smoke while standing duty next to a car accident!\n I found my Mahal had the wiring to the gauge melted when I was trying to figure out a different electrical problem. I repaired that wiring, and added a battery cable wire from the alternator to the starter relay battery post. The heavy charging current now by passes the amp gauge, but the amp gauge still powers up everything in the dash. \n I did add a volt meter. You will see a drop in voltage when you have a charging system failure. The battery(s) are being charged at 13.5 - 14.0 volts. A fully charged battery is 12.6 volts. If you see anything lower than that at a cruising speed, start watching the volt meter a lot closer!

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Fellchase » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:04 am

Thanks good info. \nI guess you could do a current shunt to bring the amps down to go across your ammeter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: None - Dodge chassis info

Unread post by Dave78Chieftain » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:47 pm

For reference:\nFor the 74 and later Dodge chassis with the new instrument panel (3 circles vs a rectangle), the Dodge supplied instrument panel ammeter is a shunt style ammeter. The "shunt" is a section of wire down by the starter relay. 73 and earlier (rectangle panel) routed the power thru the gauge (shunt was inside the meter)

Return to “Travco 270”