1975 270 taillights

Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270

1975 270 taillights

Unread post by diskman » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:12 am

People keep telling me that my brake lights or turn signals don't work properly. I spent a few hours replacing bulbs and some wiring nightmares but just cannot get the rears to behave.\n\nI have: \nfour, 4 inch round, red, 1157 bulb taillights. The outer ones only seem to do any signalling. The inner ones just appear to be running lights. I want to change this behavior.\n\nI would like to change the inner lights to amber units for turn signals and keep the outer red ones for brake/running lights.\n\nI only get both outer brake lights with signalling RIGHT. No right blinker in the back. Left blinker works fine.\n\nI found a wiring schematic that actually matches up to my harnesses and I was able to see that my column switch in regards to the rear is funky. \n\nSeems that something in the steering-column turn signal assembly is borked. Is there a replacement for the signal switch assembly?? Mid 70s Dodge something?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: None - Dodge chassis info

Re: 1975 270 taillights

Unread post by Dave78Chieftain » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:15 pm

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Unread post by RobC » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:09 pm

Does your turn signal flasher on the fuse panel make the clicking sound on both right and left?\n\nIf it clicks both sides at the same rate your problem is the wire or the bulb or anything aft of the flasher. I found all kinds of shorts and scabbed wiring on mine where the wire was exposed due to rubbing. The wiring in the taped bundle that runs all along the frame rail (mine runs down inside of drivers side framerail then splits at the back. Had all kinds of shorts there too.\n\nMy floor is ripped out so it is super easy for me to trace wiring and fix it.\n\nTakeaway, chase your shorts and grounds.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by diskman » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:46 pm

RobC wrote:Does your turn signal flasher on the fuse panel make the clicking sound on both right and left?\n\nIf it clicks both sides at the same rate your problem is the wire or the bulb or anything aft of the flasher. I found all kinds of shorts and scabbed wiring on mine where the wire was exposed due to rubbing. The wiring in the taped bundle that runs all along the frame rail (mine runs down inside of drivers side framerail then splits at the back. Had all kinds of shorts there too.\n\nMy floor is ripped out so it is super easy for me to trace wiring and fix it.\n\nTakeaway, chase your shorts and grounds.
\n\n\nYep. I get the blinker module working on both directions. The front signal lights work fine.. odd. I am taking the old girl out camping this weekend so I will do some mild wire tracing. \n\nSomeone cut the original rear harness at some point. There is barely enough wires poking into the rear area to attach to the lights. I will look at the frame rail and see if I can see the original harness. I may just cut it at the rear frame, test the wires and solder on new leads to the back with plenty left over. Maybe run some pvc and shove the original harness into that to the rear. \n\nDont think its the harness tho. The hazards work fine. I imagine those are the same wires as the brake/blinker circuits.\n\nSomewhere there is some sort of "box" that does the brake light / turn signal light conversion. IE Both brake lights on if NO signal.. Opposite brake light from blinker light while keeping running lights on.\n\nIts confusing. That's why I want to put amber LED units in the inside set of roundies. Just for the blinkers. Leave the outer ones for brake/running..

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:02 pm

A quick check. Check the grounds to the tail lights. A bad ground to one of them can do some of the odd things you are experiencing. As for splitting the brake and turn functions that will take a little wiring. The same wire feeds the Brake, Turn and Hazzard flashers. The second wire at the taillight is for the park/running lamps. A third would be a ground.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by diskman » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:55 pm

KB2CRK wrote:A quick check. Check the grounds to the tail lights. A bad ground to one of them can do some of the odd things you are experiencing. As for splitting the brake and turn functions that will take a little wiring. The same wire feeds the Brake, Turn and Hazzard flashers. The second wire at the taillight is for the park/running lamps. A third would be a ground.
\n\n\nSo I imagine that the turn signal switches control both the blinking and disable the brake for that signal? There was some strangeness with the grounds. I had to change them around a bit to get better connections.. I will double check tho.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:07 pm

My coach has reverse lights on the inner lights. The only way to cleanly go with a European style setup would be to install an aftermarket turn signal controller. There are universal units that you can get from the auto parts stores. I have one on my golf cart.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Nessie also has the reverse lights in the inner position.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by diskman » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:15 pm

OK! All my taillights work again on the 270! Here is what I found out.\n\n\nThe Dodge part number I used is 3738076 NON-Tilt steering.\n\nHOWEVER, my 270 had part # 3488805 NON-Tilt for cornering lights. \n\nLooks like the switch assembly I replaced was original too. Yes, my 270 has side blinkers and cornering lights. Well, not anymore as my new switch doesnt have the wires for them. :(\n\nI wondered what the 3 extra wires were for on my harness from the old assembly. Some quick Googling and there ya go.\n \nOf course the part I need is expensive. I will have to figure out another way to wire up my corner lights.

Return to “Travco 270”