Furnace Turning on, But not igniting....

Author
Travco Model: 1977 Travco Elite 26'

Furnace Turning on, But not igniting....

Unread post by Paul_Ashley » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Hello All!\nHaving a bit of a problem. \nMy furnace fan turns on when temp drops below the thermostat... But ignitor won't spark... Took ignitor off and looks to be in good condition... Fuse is good and wiring is proper Maybe there is something I am forgetting? Walk me through the steps if someone has the time... Its getting cold, and fast! I don't smell propane either... Is there another valve for the furnace? A pilot light? Is there another valve for the water heater as well?\n\nThanks!\n\nPaul & Ashley

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Furnace Turning on, But not igniting....

Unread post by Acesneights » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:25 pm

You have to light the pilot first which is a royal PIA. Use a hand held lighter. The push button one built into the furnace is worthless. It can take awhile to get it to light. Just keep the pilot button depressed and keep trying to light it.\nIf i won't light there may be a spiderweb in the orifice.\nAlso you wanna click the thermostat just enough that it's on but not calling for heat. If the fan is unning you will never get the pilot lit and sometimes it blows out the first time the fan kicks on . This is because it needs to be purged of air from sitting not being used.\nThere is a little cover that unscrewed. A little bigger than a soda cap to light it.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: None - Dodge chassis info

Unread post by Dave78Chieftain » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:15 am

From your description you have a Direct Spark Ignition (DSI) furnace not a Pilot Model furnace. Best I can offer is:\nDirect Spark Ignition (DSI) furnace\n\nFor those who have a Pilot model Furnace:\nPilot model Furnace\n\nDave

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:35 pm

I think bv ignitor he meant that useless push button one. I assume you have a Suburban DynaTrail ?\nDo you have the books that came with the Travco ? If not post up some pics of the furnace and we can try to identify it.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Unread post by Paul_Ashley » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:48 am

Here are the Pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread post by Paul_Ashley » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:49 am

Dave, The Chieftain link is broken.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by Dave78Chieftain » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:51 am

Yes, the CWVRV site crashed last night. It is back up now.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by Dave78Chieftain » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:08 am

Looks like a Suburban NT Series furnace (DSI). Black lead is flame sense. Red lead is ignitor lead.\n\nFan runs off the Time Delay Relay\n\nPower to the module board is routed through the high temp cutoff switch then the sail switch. So, the only difference from the coleman DSI drawing I pointed to is the sail switch and high temp limit switch positions are swapped. \n\nMake sure all electrical connections are clean and bright. Corrosion is a common problem. Yes, you have to pull out and disassemble the unit to do that. \n\nPost the Brand/Model number of the unit (e.g. Suburban NT-30SP) (Furnace Manuals)

Return to “Travco 270”