413 ignition upgrades?

Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: 413 ignition upgrades?

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:38 pm

I was just checking a few things and from the looks of it the timing has jumped. the slack is on the wrong side of the gears.\nThe cam should move with the crank immediately when turning them that direction. I would at the very least put a timing chain and gear set in. Although it has been over 20 years since I changed a timing chain I have done many a timing belt since then and 1 tooth off on the belt will keep them from running right and is less than a 1/4 of the slop in that chain.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:32 pm

it was mentioned that the engine in question is a 413-1?"... Better check, if it is a 413-3 which has the steel forged crank and is very valuable. I wouldnt let it out of my sight. MY boss 302 cranks for my mavericks were steel forged and worth their weight in gold. no cast iron for me if i have my originals. do whatever to keep it... have it micro polished or replate the throw if needed. that travco puts a lot of streSs on the crankpins etc. just a warning...act accordoingly... be safe and aware of what you have..\nsome mopar nuts would sacrifice their girlfriends virginity for a forged steel crank... JMO\nBBB\nA comment on chains. Sometimes an advance or retard by a tooth can have good or bad effects on engine performance. there are offset made keyways by a certain amount of offset to accomplish various horse power ranges.. do some checking on them. be aware of some other options on camming...\nFWIW\nBBB

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1972270 commerical travler

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:17 pm

Its been a while since I have updated my 413 ignition upgrade that has turned into a marathon upgrade. The engine is still on the engine stand and since my last post I have acquired another Travco. I plan on pulling the 440 out of the 76 and putting it in the 72 while I have the 413 rebuilt. But as long as I have it out why not upgrade some of the ignition parts on the 440? This got me to thinking about the GM ignition conversions... \n\nHas anyone done the GM HEI conversion yet? I found the DUI GM conversion distributor but it seems to good to be true. does this realy eliminate the ECU and the ballast resistor?\n\nThere are cheaper sets available, but the question is do I need the orange ECU at all with this type of distributor set up?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:22 pm

Eliminates the Mopar ecu and uses a GM module inside the distributor.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:27 pm

it just seems so easy. almost tooo easy... hmmm...

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:44 pm

I'd be interested to see how it works. I have had a few Mopar ecu's un explainably melt over the years. I always carry a spare.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:56 pm

I pulled the trigger on ordering a GM HEI distributer for the 440. It should be here soon. When I install it I will post up some notes and results. I hope it works!!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Good Luck

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:55 pm

My new GM HEI distributor arrived the other day in the mail. (love that Amazon) I eagerly opened the box and was shocked at the pure size of the distributer assembly. It's massive. I laid it next to the stock replacement I got last year in my quest to get the 413 running. its way way bigger. its like holding a tennis ball in your left hand and a volleyball in your right. both are round and do basically the same thing, but the pure size is crazy different.\n\nSo I went to insert the new distributor into the 413 that's just sitting on its custom 4 wheel dolly to see how it will fit. I figured I would have clearance issues with the corner of the valve cover. and Yep, its got to be adjusted just a smidge. (i may just tap it in a bit with a body hammer or maybe i will cut it out and weld in a straight piece of steel) I guess I will address that with the 440 when I go to drop the HEI in later next week.\n\nBUT this is where things get crazy. If you read way back when I started this thread you will notice that the 413 ran for a day, I parked it and then had nothing but trouble with it. I chased timing and ignition problems for almost a year. I worked on it and could never get it to start and run right again. And now I know why.... \n\nAs I looked down the hole to see the slot for the distributor drive I noticed something odd. laying across the distro gear was what appeared to be a rod. yep, a rod... I moved the flashlight a bit and sure enough, there was one of the lifter rods completely out of its guide and laying across the gears. I was shocked. I took the valve cover off and not only is that one rod not in place, there are two more missing completely. \n\nThe only thing I can think of is early on when I couldn't get it to start I blamed the ECU and other related ignition parts. I ordered all new and put them in. I got it to start but had a carb issue. I distinctly remember during this time getting two very loud backfires while messing around with the carb and distributer. I suspect that one or both of those backfires allowed one or more of the rods to lap over a lobe and either slide down into the oil pan or in one case into the distributor drive area.\n\nIs that possible? I guess it doesn't matter how they got out of place. I am now feeling much better about my inability to get that engine in time and running. I thought I was going to go nuts chasing it. turns out I was not crazy. I am glad I pulled that engine and then found the 440. \n\nAnyone want to buy a 413 for rebuild? Its on a custom built rolling cart ready to go....

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Fri May 05, 2017 3:09 am

Still blaming it on a jumped timing chain... 3 push rods? omg...\nglad you got the 440...be nice to hear when you are up n' running...\nTNX for the update... was curious as to what you found...\nSpring & summer are coming fast\nBBB

Return to “Travco 270”