413 ignition upgrades?

Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1972270 commerical travler

413 ignition upgrades?

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:31 am

I finally got to drive my 270 the week of Thanksgiving. It was great and very motivating. I parked it back in its spot and started to rebuild the passenger side floor. I spread out the work over a few weeks and finally got it put back together last weekend and tried to fire it up to drive it some more. The problem is that it won't start and run. \n\nIt turns over very slow and when I finally got it to start it was spitting fuel and backfiring through the carb. I pulled the original Holley carb off and cleaned and rebuilt it (again) slapped it back on confident she'd fire up, but no. \n\nNow it seems there isn't any spark and if there is any spark its a very inconsistent spark. The points are clean and adjusted, wires look good, cap and rotor are clean. I'm thinking the coil is bad. \n\nSo here's the dilemma. Do I spend the money and upgrade it all to an MSD type of ignition now or no?\n\nWhat is the best ignition set up for 1972 413's? \nWill the standard MSD distributor/coil pak/wire kits from street 440's work in the 413's?\n\nOr do I just keep it simple and replace the old coil, points and condenser?.... UGHhhhh sometimes this thing gets the best of me...

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: 413 ignition upgrades?

Unread post by badbillybiker » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:31 pm

Cheapest thing I can think of at the moment is a new porcelain resistor block... \nYou can try a kwik bypass with paper clips\nOther suggestions I am sure will follow...\nIf in doubt about the coil, try a known good one from another car....\nThe factory system while not the best has served many thousand of folks..IMO\nBBB

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: None - Dodge chassis info

Unread post by Dave78Chieftain » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:16 pm

As described in the instruction manual, the MSD 6A and 6AL both work with points or electronic ignition. Just select the proper wire for the type you have (White for points, green & violet for electronic ignition). A Ballast resistor is not used in either unit. The 6AL includes a Rev Limiter though you most likely do not need that.\n\nThe 413, 440, and 426 RB block distributors are interchangeable so you could also install a stock 440-3 Electronic distributor and either use the stock Dodge Electronic ignition or use a MSD 6A unit.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:25 pm

OK! this is the kind of info I need. Thank you very much.\n\nI stopped at my local custom truck/4x4 place today. scouted around for a complete MSD system. I am thinking it would be great to simply replace it all with a new modern MSD system and have it done. But at about $600 or more I decided I would think on this some more. \n\nLike BBB said, the original system worked good in '72, why not stick with that? So I went down the road and stopped by the Napa store. They can get all the new parts (for the stock set up) and I could refresh it all for about $150. They even had the ceramic resister. (where is that located on the rig? I have yet to find it.)\n\nI think I will get the Napa stock stuff, get her fired up and running good before I drop a complete MSD system in it. but man that would be nice to have it done....

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:23 pm

I had a similar issue shortly after replacing all of my ignition parts. It turned out that my brand new rotor had a broken tab and wouldn't always let the engine fire.\nI now carry a least 1 spare of everything in my ignition circuit including a complete new distributor.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: None - Dodge chassis info

Unread post by Dave78Chieftain » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:20 pm

BTW - For about the same $150 you could upgrade to the later Dodge Electronic ignition.\n\nDistributor\nAmplifier\nBallast Resistor\nCables

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Really? Do you think the parts are available in stores or is this a junk yard mission? \n\nI don't supose anyone has put this upgrade on paper or on a list someplace here on the forum have they? \n\nIts hard enough going into the parts stores trying to explain to some 19 year old kid that they wont have my vehicle in thier system, or like in the big Napa store I always get the discusted look from the old guys who automatically say "thats way to old, nobody will have any parts for it"... then they start reminising about the good old days and finally realize I'm not going away until they check and then they hudle up and discuss it and one will say something like "Oh hell, pull up a '75 Chrysler Newport, they had 440's in em"... \n\nAnyways- what should I ask for?\ntype/number for the newer/better Distributor\nAmplifier- wth is this? (I cut my teeth on GM and VW's, so im not a hardened MOPAR guy yet. But I'm willing to learn) \nBallast Resistor- number/type/manufacture?..\nCables- spark plug cables right? aftermarket type or should i get some kickass heaters...

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:02 pm

Holy Hell Dave... I just jumped over to your page... I like. I like...\n\nI will surf your page a bit becouse i think you already have the info I need.\n \nI now have hope again that I will get this tub on the road...

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:03 pm

I currently don't have a picture of my spare distributor or spark plug wiring kit....\nbut here are the pictures with the correct part numbers for the electronics I carry...\nI think you are looking for.these. HTH\nBTW... far right item/last pic contains the numbers for correct spark plugs\nBBB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:34 pm

Giddy UP BBB! Thanks!!\n\nUdate- I took a can of easy off oven cleaner (works best on a warm engine) and worked over the 40 years of grime and gunk off the bell housing area and across the valve covers and under the engine area... lots of cold water spraying around, but I found the resisters and starter relay and the fusable link.\n\nSo thanks to you guys helping me, I'm now starting to put this together in my mind on how and what to swap out. \n\nWill a new distributor from a '73 or newer work? \n\nI will have to start surfing the parts stores websites to see what they carry.

Return to “Travco 270”