320 Floor plans

Author
Travco Model: 35

Re: 320 Floor plans

Unread post by 81Travco35 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:57 pm

Hi, Some of the motorhomes were sold without a generator, but they still had the empty location and door on the left rear. Often, the dealership would install the generator. If it didn't have a fuel line, it's a good bet that it was sold without a generator. Also, in the electric system there should be an 'automatic transfer switch' which disconnects power from 'shore' when it senses the generator produce power, so there isn't a big fight between the phasing of the generator and the phasing of the electirc company power. And, most generators were actually natrual gas powered and ran of the tank for the stove and fridge. A generator that runs off of gasoline is fine, and honestly more convienient, as long as you don't run the fuel tank dry and then end up stranded and out of fuel :) The coach should have a saganaw type power steering box and pump. I know many people run transmission fluid in a ps system. And for the most part it seems ok to do. Power steering fluid and transmission fluid are about the same viscosity, roughly 10 wt. The problem is that transmission fluid will have 'friction enhansors' to help the clutch plates in an automatic transmission grip a little tighter. 'frictiion enhansers' are not a good thing to have in an hydraulic pump... for obvious reasons. So "yes" automatic transmission fluid will work. but "no" it's not a good idea to use it if powersteering fluid is available. On my travco, with power steering, and "hydroboost" brakes, which also work of the power steering pump, I removed my pump, drilled out the flow passage and shimed the pressure bypass spring to give the pump more volume flow at a higher presser, making the coach a lot easier to steer and stop. I guess your coach has a 440 Dodge with 727 torque flight transmission? If so, I really think it will have the 5 bolt on 8" circle bolt patten. Mine was one of three built on a heavier chassis with a detroit diesel and allison transmission, so has the 6 bolt pattern. Both will be 19.5 wheels. A lot of the 4500 and 5500 class trucks are now running the 19.5 tires, so they are getting easier to find.
I worked as an engineer for mercury marine, and at peterbilt in Denton, TX as a prototype engineer. Always loved the old 'classic' travcos....

Travco Model: 77 Dodge Travco 320

Unread post by DrMopar383 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:32 pm

It just dawned on me that the propane tank really isn’t that big so I guess that would make sense that the generator would run off the gasoline tanks. Yes, I do have the 440 with the torqueflite transmission. I worked in the low temperature lab between 76-81 and I had a picture of me driving a motorhome chassis. Obviously it didn’t have the body or anything else. Now I can’t find that picture. I had it in my tool box. I would love to have mine converted to a Cummins diesel. I take it that yours is a later model. After Foretravel bought Travco I had heard that they did build some with a Diesel engine. I feel like I am totally blind not having any of the original manuals and whatever the coach came with when new. I’ll take some pictures of the wheels and the generator as well. Even the water connects are weird. How do I post a photo on here? Thanks again.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:02 am

81Travco35 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:57 pm
Hi, Some of the motorhomes were sold without a generator, but they still had the empty location and door on the left rear. Often, the dealership would install the generator. If it didn't have a fuel line, it's a good bet that it was sold without a generator. Also, in the electric system there should be an 'automatic transfer switch' which disconnects power from 'shore' when it senses the generator produce power, so there isn't a big fight between the phasing of the generator and the phasing of the electirc company power. And, most generators were actually natrual gas powered and ran of the tank for the stove and fridge. A generator that runs off of gasoline is fine, and honestly more convienient, as long as you don't run the fuel tank dry and then end up stranded and out of fuel :) The coach should have a saganaw type power steering box and pump. I know many people run transmission fluid in a ps system. And for the most part it seems ok to do. Power steering fluid and transmission fluid are about the same viscosity, roughly 10 wt. The problem is that transmission fluid will have 'friction enhansors' to help the clutch plates in an automatic transmission grip a little tighter. 'frictiion enhansers' are not a good thing to have in an hydraulic pump... for obvious reasons. So "yes" automatic transmission fluid will work. but "no" it's not a good idea to use it if powersteering fluid is available. On my travco, with power steering, and "hydroboost" brakes, which also work of the power steering pump, I removed my pump, drilled out the flow passage and shimed the pressure bypass spring to give the pump more volume flow at a higher presser, making the coach a lot easier to steer and stop. I guess your coach has a 440 Dodge with 727 torque flight transmission? If so, I really think it will have the 5 bolt on 8" circle bolt patten. Mine was one of three built on a heavier chassis with a detroit diesel and allison transmission, so has the 6 bolt pattern. Both will be 19.5 wheels. A lot of the 4500 and 5500 class trucks are now running the 19.5 tires, so they are getting easier to find.
I worked as an engineer for mercury marine, and at peterbilt in Denton, TX as a prototype engineer. Always loved the old 'classic' travcos....
The 320 was on the M600 Dodge chassis with the 6 lug Budd wheels instead of the more common 5 lug 8" circle on the 19.5" wheels. By 81 Foretravel was building the Travcos and that is when the diesels and GM power came into play. The hydroboost was added in 76 to replace the hydrovac system that preceded it. The 270s, Mahals, and some of the 290s were on the M500 chassis with the 5 lug budds. Foretravel continued the Travco line into the 90s.

Return to “Travco 320/350”