Cummins project

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Travco Model: 270... I think

Cummins project

Unread post by Franknsr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:41 pm

After reading about gone2sea's diesel swap in his Avco, I decided to scrap my plans to put a 7.3 in my Travco and look for a Cummins engine. Not really ready for the project until next year but started scouting Craigslist to see what they are going for. Came across an ad for a 1999 3500 dually that had a cab fire, and over the past few weeks I watched the price drop to a point where I couldn't take it anymore. For a lot less than what I would have paid for just an engine, I picked up the entire truck with 99,000 miles and hope to figure out a way to use the axles and all. \n\nSo far I know that the rear axle might fit and the front definitely has to be narrowed, and I have a lot of work ahead of me. ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Travco Model:

Re: Cummins project

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:09 am

Cool project! I'll be checking in from time to time to see where this goes. Good luck!

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1966 Model 270

Unread post by Fellchase » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:54 am

Following.

Travco Model: 270... I think

Unread post by Franknsr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:57 pm

Well, got the old Cummins running which took a bit longer than I though. At one point the truck had a short under the dash which caused a cab fire, which is why I got is so cheap. Ended up cutting the harness at the engine and wired in some switches. Charged the batteries for a few days and she finally jumped to life. While it was running I pressed the brake pedal and it went to the floor. Found a rusted brake line so I guess I'll be gently rolling it into position for the tear down. \n\nAlready thinking about bolting an engine hoist to my flatbed trailer and driving the engine out of both the Travco and the 3500. Now... what to do with the 318.....

Return to “Engines”