Engine swap? Anything helps!

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Travco Model: 1967 Travco 270?

Engine swap? Anything helps!

Unread post by safestian » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Hello all, new to the group but ready for a project!! Buying our first '67 two-door Dodge Travco. I have mechanical abilities but am not familiar with Dodge/ Chrysler. This thing has a 318 Poly small block V8, and I'm wondering what kind of motors will fit in here. I've heard 1964- 1992 318 motors should fit, but it's hard to find, but I can find a ton of 96/99 Dodge Durango or pick-ups with a 318. Can I simply swap those out, or does the newer engine have different mounting brackets/ trans bolt holes? Even looking for a complete crate engine has been difficult. In Detroit so plenty of pull-it-yourself yards and salvage yards, what kind of vehicles/ motors can I find that would be a direct fit? Thank you all for your help and support!

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Engine swap? Anything helps!

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:31 am

Any Chrysler small Block V8 will work. 318, 340 ,360. The 318 Poly is a good engine and worth rebuilding. The big block engnes are also an option if you are willing to change the Transmission at the same time. Chrysler only has 3 bell housing options for their RWD Transmissions, Small Block, Big block. Cummins /V10.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 220

Unread post by Woodsman » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:58 am

You get about 60hp jump going from a '67 to '93 318, should make for a noticeable difference in driveability.

Travco Model: 1967 Travco 270?

Unread post by safestian » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks for that info! So you're saying about any Chrysler V8 will have the same mounting locations? If I find something newer, with EFI, is it as easy as just throwing it in the engine bay and tucking the computer somewhere, or do I need to stick with the original carb? The original 318 Poly is in running shape for now, would it be better to just upgrade that to an EFI carb and leave it in? I'm trying to stick with the same trans since it's in good shape as well, but am looking for options just in case it totally craps out on me. Again all help is much appreciated!!

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:33 pm

safestian wrote:Thanks for that info! So you're saying about any Chrysler V8 will have the same mounting locations? If I find something newer, with EFI, is it as easy as just throwing it in the engine bay and tucking the computer somewhere, or do I need to stick with the original carb? The original 318 Poly is in running shape for now, would it be better to just upgrade that to an EFI carb and leave it in? I'm trying to stick with the same trans since it's in good shape as well, but am looking for options just in case it totally craps out on me. Again all help is much appreciated!!
\n\nIf you have the knowledge to put the EFI in with the wiring and coputer location that would be a great way to go. High pressure fuel pump would be needed. The 360 uses a different mounting position on one side of the block as compared to the 318. The 318 LA and 5.2 magnum for the most part are the same block and share bellhousings with the 318 poly. The 318 LA was the base engine for the Travco after the Poly was discontinued.

Return to “Engines”