Edelbrock Performer vs Thermoquad...

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Travco Model:

Re: Edelbrock Performer vs Thermoquad...

Unread post by 77Travco » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:18 am

77Travco wrote:Currently my carb is dumping way too much fuel... I can see gas pooling in the bottom of the intake and starting the engine is getting ridiculously hard.
\n\nI was wrong about that... I was cranking on the starter and pumping the pedal way too much. I didn't suspect an ignition problem since I recently replaced everything.\n Turns out my rotor tab had broken loose and eventually came completely off. I installed a new cap n rotor and the ol' 440 is starting great and purring like a kitten again!

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:43 pm

That's good. A rotor is alot cheaper... :lol:
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Zed
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270 Mahal

Unread post by Zed » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:59 pm

Can you tell me the model Holley Spreadbore you ended up going with?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:26 pm

I think I put it in this thread somewhere. If not call Allstate Carb(link is at the top of forum) and tell them you are looking to replace a Thermoquad. He will know which one.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:05 am

77Travco wrote:
77Travco wrote:Currently my carb is dumping way too much fuel... I can see gas pooling in the bottom of the intake and starting the engine is getting ridiculously hard.
\n\nI was wrong about that... I was cranking on the starter and pumping the pedal way too much. I didn't suspect an ignition problem since I recently replaced everything.\n Turns out my rotor tab had broken loose and eventually came completely off. I installed a new cap n rotor and the ol' 440 is starting great and purring like a kitten again!
\n\nCome to think of it Nessie did not have the pops out of the carb this trip. A tune up was done before leaving and the old rotors tab was also broken. I also had a broken wire and worn plugs. I see a theme here.

Zed
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Zed » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:26 pm

I've got a Holley Spreadbore on the way from Allstate carb. The Edelbrock needs to be rebuilt, the fuel/air screws do nothing. I'm going to rebuild the Edelbrock and keep it as a spare.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Unread post by RobC » Wed May 24, 2017 12:27 pm

I rebuilt my T-quad with the kit and only had to go back in there THREE times to get the floats set. With the floats set at factor spec there was fuel pouring over in through the primaries running in an extreme rich condition.\n\nThird time in a slapped it back on the motor, hooked up the throttle and choke, did the old crank it 5 or 6 times to get fuel in the bowl, then pump the pedal to get the primaries to squirt and.... nothing with a strong smell of gas.\n\nTook off the air cleaner and see I forgot to hook up the fuel line to the Carb. So my motor got a nice gas bath all over the intake manifold. \n\nLucky\n\nMeasure twice cut once.\n\nRobC

Zed
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Zed » Wed May 24, 2017 2:10 pm

I never ended up using the Holley spreadbore I ordered, and no returns from Allstate carbs. I made a stupid mistake of not checking my intake which was actually a squarebore not a spread. Not wanting to throw more money at it and because i think the aluminum intakes commonly offered as aftermarket replacements are the source of the vapor lock problems I just shelved the Holley that Allstate built for my 413. \n\nI'll sell it for less then I paid from Allstate if you decide to junk the T-Quad. I've never run one but I know they are mostly disliked by many.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed May 24, 2017 6:52 pm

Hopefully I will get the Fitech Fuel injection on Nessie and put her Thermoquad on the shelf.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Unread post by RobC » Thu May 25, 2017 10:49 am

That Fitech system looks pretty slick.\n\nIf I ditch the T-Quad I will go with the Fitech as well.\n\nRobC

Return to “Engines”