Throttle linkage

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Travco Model: '68 270?

Throttle linkage

Unread post by Mountainmade » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:05 pm

Can anybody just snap a pic of your throttle linkage? Mine has been modified and doesn't move all the way through its range of motion...one piece is clearly not original, trying to figure out just how much of it IS original, but I don't have any references to look at...

-M

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Throttle linkage

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:01 am

Let me look. I may have a picture somewhere butt there were some changes over the years.

Unread post by Mountainmade » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:09 pm

Well, in that case... How about the 75-76 era if possible...
The chassis is a '68, but the motor is a mid 70's 440. The reason for PO's linkage "mod", surely

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:47 pm

My pictures would of a 76 440

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:58 pm

nessie carb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:09 pm

nessie carb1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:48 am

The first picture was when I was putting the thermoquad on and the cable and trans kickdown were not connected yet. The bottom picture has everything connected. I have a picture with the same throttle setup on a Quadrajet that was on Nessie when I got her. Everything was angled in to the tiny 650 QJ so when I put the TQ that belonged there back on everything lined up.I was also able to get over 60 mph which the QJ would not allow the old girl to do. I will finally be putting a FiTech TBI unit on this summer. I am pretty sure the linkage setup can be used with it.

Unread post by Mountainmade » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:53 pm

Interesting. I assumed the reasonably commonly available​ cable segment was from later models...
I currently have no cable, and neither did my other Dodge RV ( but it's a class C). I was expecting bars, like van chassis
Better check and see what else I'm missing, since I'm pulling the wrong direction.
Thanks a bunch, I'll drop a pic of mine for a "how not to do it" shortly.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:58 pm

It has a cable running alongside the trans kickdown rod. The set up is factory original for the 76 440

Unread post by Mountainmade » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:43 pm

See here, if you look carefully, I have a doglegged bar as the pedal here, which goes to an adjustable linkage bar that connects to a piece of bar stock bolted to the carb actuator.
This will not open fully, barely enough to actuate the accelerator pump (which IS right at the end of pedal throw anyway, but this won't reliably do it)
What's the first piece of your linkage? I can't quite tell how you actuate the cables; it appears there's more than one.

I've thought about TBI for my 74 conversion van, but hadn't yet occurred to me for the travco... Particularly with this thing's mystery mishmash fuel system. I've got what I can only assume is an electric booster pump on the fuel line by the tank, a solenoid switched tee, and a length of line that runs to a transfer pump by the battery box, which is capped off. Only purpose for that I can think of is fuel tank purge, or for an alternative fuel tank for testing purposes (long run of fuel line if the mechanical pump is bad, but I've always been a "dump some fuel down the throat" type so it seems quite excessive to me)

Edit: damn pics are too big, will add when I go back to town

Return to “Engines”