What temp is everyone at

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270

Re: What temp is everyone at

Unread post by highwaystar » Fri May 01, 2015 1:57 pm

The mister gasket failed. Called summit racing and bought a robert shaw. Came packaged as milodon. Looks like the exact item, same stampings just different color.\n\nMade it 200 miles this weekend so all is good.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Fri May 01, 2015 4:29 pm

Just ordered a stat for mine as a "spare" will know more when it arrives ..origin etc... also ordered two motor mounts... get them tomorrow.. Nothing is hurt yet... but at 40 years old I am sure there is a lot of deteriation..(sp)..\n200 miles?... things are looking good for you...burning only 25 gallons of gas...time to burn off that old stuff anyways...\nBBB

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Sat May 02, 2015 8:32 am

highwaystar wrote:Made it 200 miles this weekend so all is good.
\nGood for you! These things belong out on the road. ;)

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue May 05, 2015 7:34 am

I finally got my ordered thermostat... As previously noted above about imported craftmanship... I just paid at the full american price for chinese imported low wage produced crap.. Yep...my mr.gasket hi-performance 440-3 flanged thermostat is made... guess where???\nin CHINA... #4367 Mopar Big Block Hi-Performance Thermostat by Mr.Gasket, div of Prestolite Performance...\nNo in house quality here... A earlier Travco Forum member had a MrGasket thermostat fail in less than 50 miles? (one trip) Now as I had gotten this for a backup and it was professionally shrink wrapped/blister packed in the good ol USA mr gasket wrapping factory...... \nand as I really gotten this for a backup and not currently needed... what am I to do... open it up and stick in a pan of boiling water watching to see if it works or leave it in the package, saving the receipt and if in a few years later attempting to use it and find it is another non-working china rip-off...decisions, decisions...BTW I paid $22.00 USD for the piece of $5.00 brass creation... \n(Subject to corrections or deletions if not accurate) IMO\nBBB

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue May 05, 2015 11:20 am

I would throw it in a pan of hot water and test it at least 3 or 4 times before adding to my backup parts box. \n I currently keep a 160 Mr gasket and a 180 Robert Shaw as spares in my Travco parts collection.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue May 05, 2015 3:12 pm

tnx... guess I will boil it a few times... Sure would make me POd if it was a turkey... i mean a NG thermostat...\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue May 05, 2015 3:23 pm

I think I might try boiling the mr gasket one i got to replace the non skirted stant before putting it in. putting the thermoquad back together tomorrow with the new accelerator pump. it would be a good time to get it all.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue May 05, 2015 3:36 pm

about my shiny new mr gasket chinese thermostat....\nboiled it and at 180 degree's it magically opened... one more item to put in the emergency carton...\ncurious... after boiling a made in china thermostat in a pan and using the same water for my tea... \nis it supposed to taste funny???..fwiw the mr gasket kit did NOT come with a gasket...\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun May 10, 2015 1:02 pm

Hayden Shows a HD clutch for the 440. Page 32\nhttp://www.travcoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=582
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu May 14, 2015 10:26 am

I think I found out why I was running warm on the road the last trip. Before making the trip I replaced all the heater hoses including the ones to the water heater and rear heater core. While testing the Carb with the new accelerator pump it seemed to run fine but on the trip I was loosing coolant. I had to run out for a couple parts and when I got back I found a puddle of coolant behind the right rear wheel. It was running down the heater hoses under the rear core. I checked my connections and they were good so I opened the rear heater box and in the bottom of it was a puddle. Now I know why the hoses where disconnected to start with. I took a Brass Barb fitting and bypassed the rear heater core and come Monday when I have time I will get more coolant, Refill and retest. If she stays cool I may leave the non skirted Stant (it is the right part number for the 440) in for the next trip. If it gives me issues again I will pop the Mr Gasket skirted unit in. Monday I will also replace the leaking input shaft seal on the steering box.

Return to “Engines”