Stripped header bolt on head.

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Stripped header bolt on head.

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:03 am

well I changed the right side header gasket on the right side Monday. Upon disassembly the rear bolt did not feel right coming out. I did not think anything about it until it was going back together and the bolt just kept turning instead . Well ****, I tried a new bolt and it was a little better but still would not torque. I made it snug and prayed for the best. Filled it up with coolant and all looked good. that is until yesterday morning. a puddle under the engine told me the awful truth. I ordered a helicoil kit but was concerned with the fact a helicoil is not solid. I decided to check metric tap drill sizes and founf the stripped out hole was almost the perfect size for a M10 1.25 tap. This morning I ran the metric tap into the hole and it felt like it was cutting good threads. I then ran to the local hardware store and picked up a M10 1.25X 25mm bolt to try. It went in smoothly and torqued right up to the 20 ft lbs called for. Waiting for the sealant to dry now and will try refilling the coolant in the morning. So far so good. Now I just have to remember that the one bolt is metric.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: Stripped header bolt on head.

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:19 pm

Wouldn't a metric allen head bolt be the perfect reminder? \nNo chance of a bad/wrong fitting socket screwing things \nup and not knowing why... just my $.02 worth...\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Stripped header bolt on head.

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:42 pm

I think the bolt itself will be reminder enough. 15mm head with a flange as compared to the others which are 7/16 heads with a flange.\nImage

Return to “Engines”