Factory fuel line from tank too small?

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Travco Model:

Factory fuel line from tank too small?

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:53 am

Ever since I have owned my 440 powered Travco 270 I have had an issue with the engine starving for fuel when climbing long grades or even when just running down the highway at a high rate of speed.\nMy coach has a mechanical fuel pump on the engine but it also has a big electric pump near the tank. I can drive the coach around without ever turning on the electric pump but if I climb a big hill, etc, I need to turn it on or the engine will start to run out of gas. After the hill, I usually turn it back off but sometimes I just leave it on (with no ill effects). I am guessing that a previous owner installed the electric pump to compensate for the "running out of gas" situation that pops up from time to time. \nNow on to my observation... I noticed that the factory metal fuel line that runs from the tank to the engine is only a 5/16" line. That seems kind of small to me for a 440 cid engine. \nI recently had my fuel tank out again. While I was under there, I went ahead and ran a new 3/8" aluminum fuel line next to the factory line along the frame rail. I was careful to cap off the old line in case I ever need it in the future. I also replaced the short rubber lines with new 3/8" fuel hose as well. (they were already 3/8" in size) I wonder if I will still need to utilize the electric fuel pump in the rear? I plan to leave it as it makes starting after sitting for long periods much easier.\nI will report back after I take it on a planned trip in a few weeks.\n\nHere are a few pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: Factory fuel line from tank too small?

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:18 pm

go with 3/8" as far as you can... quit guessing... then check the float level next.\ninstall a marine water/gas filter BEFORE anything coming out of the tank.\nPlace BEFORE the electric assisting fuel pump..\nwire with a fused seperate off switch 'cause in a panic, fire, wreck or anything\nthat pump will keep feeding gas until until it is disabled/shut off...\nAlmost any filter cannister, short or tall can be used, carry extras.\nany boat shop or other vendor has them. when clogged, they are\nthrow away as THEY are the 1st line of contamination defense. protecting all upstream..\nalso from my lessons, a 1" cv joint ball bearing or a bit larger that will fit into the fuel fill opening..\nwill loosen almost any crud/rust in a neglected gas tank and the filter will catch it all including water.\nCan add pics of my setup if any one wants to see..I keep 2-3 extra spin on filters IMO/FWIW/HTH\nBBB..

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Well this fixed my issue!\nI drove around the hill country today at highway speeds and never needed to turn on the electric pump once. Now I will just use it for getting gas up front after sitting. My current setup has all 3/8 line. There is a short line coming out of the tank going through a filter before the electric pump and then on to the engine.\nThe electric pump is on an ignition key controlled toggle switch on my dash.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:19 am

BBB: I would like to see more about your setup. Any part# or link for the filter you are using prior to the electric pump? Also, are you also running the mechanical pump, or just the electric?

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by diskman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:15 am

77Travco wrote:Well this fixed my issue!\nI drove around the hill country today at highway speeds and never needed to turn on the electric pump once. Now I will just use it for getting gas up front after sitting. My current setup has all 3/8 line. There is a short line coming out of the tank going through a filter before the electric pump and then on to the engine.\nThe electric pump is on an ignition key controlled toggle switch on my dash.
\n\n\nAwesome. Was the line you replaced the original? Was it steel or rubber? Maybe it was pinched, collapsed or plugged somewhere? Nothing like enabling a thirsty 440 when gas is heading upwards again for the summer! lol!\n\nRE: electric fuel pumps.. PLEASE install an "oil pressure switch" that disables the electric fuel pump when the engine if off/no oil pressure. Should be able to pick one up anywhere on the net or locally for under 20 bux. THEN run your switch after that. I installed one in a buddies truck years ago. Cheap insurance!

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:35 pm

Dodgy71... not ignoring the question or posting pics. Had a massive HDD failure of a "gd" toshiba external usb unit. Am scrambling to rebuild 3TB of lost informational and u--tube videos. Was still under their worthless warranty. Have since gone totally to WD...Will have to re-take many pics for my informational collection. I can tell you.. the spin on fuel and water filters were from a Mercruiser marine/boat dealer...and those captured ALL contaminants. \nno...i was in the process of copying/duplicating files to another HDD when this happened,..\nNothing got to my carb except gasoline and me... sorry... fwiw.\nBBB

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:11 pm

Thanks BBB.\nSorry to hear about your HDD troubles. Hopefully you have a way to recover, as your info is very valuable to all.

Return to “Engines”