Fixed my hard starting issue!

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Travco Model:

Fixed my hard starting issue!

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon May 16, 2016 10:14 am

My 440 has always taken a good amount of cranking after it has been sitting. Recently I have been having a hot start issue as well. I was recently using the coach to run errands around town when it just wouldn't fire off after stopping at my local grocery store. I determined that the coil was bad and quickly replaced it with my spare coil. (I carry an entire spare ignition system). Since then it has been doing something it never did before... it fires right up with the 1st turn of the key! Even after sitting overnight! So, I guess the (probably original) 40 year old coil has been weak ever since I have owned this thing. Just something to consider if you also have a hard starting 440. \n Now I need to pick up another spare coil. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Fixed my hard starting issue!

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon May 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Good find

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Re: Fixed my hard starting issue!

Unread post by RobC » Wed May 18, 2016 10:44 am

My coil was replaced by the PO not too long ago.\n\nMine sat over the winter, but I put the charger on the battery overnight, cranked it about 8 to 10 times, stopped, pumped the pedal a few times to push fuel through the accelerator pump and she fired up in about 3 or 4 cranks as usual.\n\nSmoke show due to the auto tranny fluid leaking from the shift shaft directly on the exhaust pipe but that clears out after a minute or two.\n\nI have heard the aftermarket racing coils/ignition (MSD, etc) are awesome. Everyone says the motor starts in the first crank.

Return to “Engines”