trailer brakes?

Post here for Brake System related Discussion
Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270 Mahal

trailer brakes?

Unread post by Zed » Mon May 27, 2019 7:27 pm

I bought a 16 ft. used trailer to tow my Toyota pickup behind my 270. Last time I used it the trailer socket at the rear of the Travco worked with a convertor I picked up to modernize the connection. The trailer I bought is a conversion from a stripped down trailer camper. It has electric trailer brakes installed on both dual axles but they are not hooked up. I am going to work on them soon, does anyone have experience with wiring trailer brakes? I assumed they just keyed off the trailers brake lights, but I'm seeing all kinds of controller kits on Amazon so I guess there's more too it? Any recommendations on what to buy? Thanks.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 220

Re: trailer brakes?

Unread post by Woodsman » Tue May 28, 2019 4:59 am

You need a controller for electric brakes, it allows you too set how much the trailer is braking. For example, if you're running empty you lessen the trailer braking, so the tires don't lock up every time you touch the brakes. If you are towing the truck you increase the trailer braking so the trailer is slowing itself rather than the tow vehicle brakes.

Reese, a major towing component company, will sell a package that has the controller and wiring instructions. You should be able too buy one for around $50. I think you will find it fairly straight forward too install but let me know if you get stuck.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Woodsman » Tue May 28, 2019 6:05 am

It might be worth contacting Reese and seeing what unit they recommend, they have been around for a long time.

Zed
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270 Mahal

Unread post by Zed » Thu May 30, 2019 12:01 am

Ok got it. The U haul trailer I've rented must have had one on board which is why I was confused. Thanks.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Woodsman » Thu May 30, 2019 4:39 am

U haul trailers generally use surge brakes, where braking is initiated by forward pressure being put on the tongue of the trailer.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by datsit » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:54 pm

As woodsman said - - good advice . In my opinion & experience I would stay away from surge brakes, if you have a lock-up on surge brakes - - your going to have a BAD DAY - - with electric you cut wire - - free to head to trailer shop !! much cheaper parts & labor !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Brakes”