Found a leaky caliper. Kudos to daves page.

Post here for Brake System related Discussion
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Found a leaky caliper. Kudos to daves page.

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:23 pm

Probably found another issue also. Brake light came on in the driveway moving Nessie around and I found the rear reservoir in the master cylinder very low. Decided to crawl under and try to find a leak. I found all newer lines to everything and no signs of fluid leaks towards the rear. Worked my way up front and found the left front caliper wet with fluid and the pads almost worn out. Came back in the house and started searching daves page for part numbers. Ordered two new calipers and a set of pads from Amazon using the raybestos part numbers from daves page. I was going to go Napa but the caliper numbers are not showing up in their online catalog. The pads showed up but if I can get them with free prime shipping I decided to save the 30 minute drive to the nearest Napa just for pads. I will share pictures when I tear into next Monday.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Found a leaky caliper. Kudos to daves page.

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:26 pm

Oh yeah the other issue. I think when the PO replaced the brake lines I think they may have crossed the front and rear as the larger reservoir on the master should have been low with the leak on the front brakes. They were working fine but I have a little investigating to do.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: None - Dodge chassis info

Unread post by Dave78Chieftain » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:05 pm

If swapped, then most likely happened at combination valve.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:20 am

I think that is where it is. all the lines at the combination valve were new when I bought it a little over a year ago. I was moving the old girl around so I could do a pre-trip inspection on the basics. I am glad I did. Parts should all be in by Saturday and I start the work on Monday.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Pads came in yesterday and the 35 lb box with the calipers showed up today. I will be putting them on Monday. I will see about getting some pictures. I am hoping that I don't have to pull the Steer Safe apart to get the calipers off. The spindle mount of the Steer Safe uses the bottom caliper bolt as a mounting point on the M500 kit.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:21 am

Still 28 degrees outside. Air over Hydraulic Jack is frozen. Waiting for it to warm up a bit more and if it does not free up it will be time to dig out one of the old bottle jacks.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:08 pm

Wheels off. My floor jack got the front end off the ground. inside warming up for a minute. I will share pictures when I am done. The steer safe spindle bracket does need to be loosened and shifted out of the way. Not to bad though.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Found loose wheel bearings on the right front. Time to do a little more work. Just one more thing on the old girl.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:36 pm

Done except for bleeding the brakes. Temp is dropping and the cold concrete was getting to me. I will let it gravity bleed tomorrow while I replace the generator bracket and install the manual choke. Final bleed will be when my wife gets home tomorrow evening.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:14 pm

Just a few pics.\nLeft coming apart\nImage\nRight bearing slightly loose so pulled them out, cleaned and inspected, packed with new grease and put back in.\nImage\nSteer Safe on the left front\nImage\nPartially disassembled Steer Safe on right side\nImage\nRight side back together\nImage

Return to “Brakes”