Can you save a Travco Relationship ??

Post here for Brake System related Discussion
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Can you save a Travco Relationship ??

Unread post by datsit » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:12 am

How is the brake up grade going with your Travco ?? I'm looking for your experience in doing upgrades / changeover / mods ? What have you done ?? What are you doing ?? WHAT DO YOU KNOW ????????\nI had seen some emails (over the years) of people doing some brake work with no follow-ups as to what works ??\nAS I have just experienced my last trip in BD as a single brake system sooooooo !! he'll be sitting out back for a while and may determine our future, the last trip could have AND may be our last !! \nI can get a complete / everything (remove from vehicle / anything needed) brake systems off a couple of Travco's OR Winnebagos I know of, my choice is a ;\n1975 travco 270 m400 Travco 5 bolt 19.5 1 piece wheels, front disc/brake / axle / diff / boosters ETC\nTo replace the brake / suspension on my Travco;\nBD is a 1969 Travco 270 M375 / single/master, 1 Vac/booster, drum brakes, 5 bolt 19.5 wheels.\nDID : you replace the entire rear end / can this be a straight over changeover (springs down to diff?) or just diff OR backing plates on existing diff ? Did you replace the front ? straight over or what mods did or are you doing to fit the new dic ? brakes on to your Travco ?? Will the brake pedal & master/cyl mount into same location as old system ?? Has anyone just done a master / cyl upgrade to a duel / system with a junction box / splitter of the master/cyl and / or do I need to go from 1 Vac/booster to 2 ???\nWhat can be done to rescue this 14 year relationship & be safe driving for me and future owners (my kids ??) OR will we be parting ways ???\nThanks You Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Travco Model: 1972 270

Re: Can you save a Travco Relationship ??

Unread post by beemerdog » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:26 pm

Mike, I sure hope you get some lengthy detailed information! I am in the throws of a brake upgrade myself. Rosie was on her way to a complete failure of the front brakes. A set of broken points saved the day! In 50 miles the pads wore down to the backing plates and tore up the rotors. I had high hopes that the conversion to disks had been done competently.... Alas I was mistaken!! So now I am working out the proper set up so that the braking system is all that it should be.\n\n72 270 with 5k front axle and 2 pot master so the disk part of the swap is fairly straight forward. Except.... disk side should be hooked to the larger (rear) pot in the master...... it wasnt :( \n72 had the 8500lb axle in the rear so smaller brakes. I hope I can make this part work well with the disks otherwise I guess I will be hunting a 10k brake set up or have an awful lot of cool parts for sale\n\nthere should be a proportioning valve in the system... there wasn't\n\nso if you have acess to a complete set up in decent shape then it shouldn't be a terrible swap. both axles should fit onto your springs which will give you modern brakes with semi available parts.\n\nI hope to see lots of input on this as good brakes make sense and I sure want to be able to bring 7 tons to a stop! \nBest of luck with your hunt for good brakes!! Chip

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Can you save a Travco Relationship ??

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:32 pm

datsit wrote:How is the brake up grade going with your Travco ?? I'm looking for your experience in doing upgrades / changeover / mods ? What have you done ?? What are you doing ?? WHAT DO YOU KNOW ????????\nI had seen some emails (over the years) of people doing some brake work with no follow-ups as to what works ??\nAS I have just experienced my last trip in BD as a single brake system sooooooo !! he'll be sitting out back for a while and may determine our future, the last trip could have AND may be our last !! \nI can get a complete / everything (remove from vehicle / anything needed) brake systems off a couple of Travco's OR Winnebagos I know of, my choice is a ;\n1975 travco 270 m400 Travco 5 bolt 19.5 1 piece wheels, front disc/brake / axle / diff / boosters ETC\nTo replace the brake / suspension on my Travco;\nBD is a 1969 Travco 270 M375 / single/master, 1 Vac/booster, drum brakes, 5 bolt 19.5 wheels.\nDID : you replace the entire rear end / can this be a straight over changeover (springs down to diff?) or just diff OR backing plates on existing diff ? Did you replace the front ? straight over or what mods did or are you doing to fit the new dic ? brakes on to your Travco ?? Will the brake pedal & master/cyl mount into same location as old system ?? Has anyone just done a master / cyl upgrade to a duel / system with a junction box / splitter of the master/cyl and / or do I need to go from 1 Vac/booster to 2 ???\nWhat can be done to rescue this 14 year relationship & be safe driving for me and future owners (my kids ??) OR will we be parting ways ???\nThanks You Mike
\nYeah, Single system is not good. The parts off the 75 should pretty much bolt on I would think. The only thing I would not be positive about is the rear drums. Might have to use the whole rear diff from the 75.\nI have owned and worked on a few of these but never a single system.\nI have an old F600 with a Single circuit. Not in love with it but I have used the truck for years with no issues with normal maintenance.\nI might be getting in a set of 10 Lug axles from an F-450 super duty if the measure out right.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Return to “Brakes”