'71 Travco Rebuild/Refurb

Post here for Steering ,suspension and tires discussion
Author
Travco Model: 1971 270

'71 Travco Rebuild/Refurb

Unread post by Smeds » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:46 pm

Hi all ... new member, and excited to have such a wealth of info here. In late October of last year we purchased a 1971 Travco and had it transported to NW Wisconsin. Storage immediately was weather-related, and it currently sits in a local pole barn awaiting Spring. I am hoping to bring it fairly current with the abilities to start/stop/go. Currently it has quite a bit of play in the steering, as in; 3-4" each side of center does very little, which is a handful to say the least.

I've been reading, and I somewhat agree with Alretta stating all worse-case scenarios when it comes to finding parts. I believe I have an M375 chassis, with a dual hydrovac underneath ... even though it's a '71. What direction could you point me for parts sourcing? I imagine Kingpins/Bushings/Drag Links/Tie Rods/etc.? Am I just better off seeking out axle swaps? Really want to preserve this camper and use it as it was intended 50+ years ago. Safety is obviously the #1 concern.

Thanks!

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: '71 Travco Rebuild/Refurb

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:29 pm

Welcome Smeds and welcome to the forum. I had some slop in the steering when I got Nessie our 76 Mahal. She had a leaking steering box and using the part list in the parts forum I was able to get a Cardone rebuilt unit from Car quest. I also replaced the rag joint with a Borgenson joint in the column. A steering stabilizer took care of the rest. Everything was shared here somewhere. Now the 76 in an M500 chassis with front discs and hydroboost from the factory. Some part will differ. best thing is jack up the front end and check all the linkages nd kingpins. if they are good check the rag joint ant the steering box for any looseness. Simple front end. rag joint, steering box, drag link, and Tie rod. two ends on the drag link and two ends on the tie rod. not much to check besides that and the kingpins. Check spring bushings for slop. a couple of those on each leaf

Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by Smeds » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:06 am

KB2CRK wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:29 pm
Welcome Smeds and welcome to the forum. I had some slop in the steering when I got Nessie our 76 Mahal. She had a leaking steering box and using the part list in the parts forum I was able to get a Cardone rebuilt unit from Car quest. I also replaced the rag joint with a Borgenson joint in the column. A steering stabilizer took care of the rest. Everything was shared here somewhere. Now the 76 in an M500 chassis with front discs and hydroboost from the factory. Some part will differ. best thing is jack up the front end and check all the linkages nd kingpins. if they are good check the rag joint ant the steering box for any looseness. Simple front end. rag joint, steering box, drag link, and Tie rod. two ends on the drag link and two ends on the tie rod. not much to check besides that and the kingpins. Check spring bushings for slop. a couple of those on each leaf
Thanks for this! Based on parts availability I plan on having axle swaps as well ... possibly from an Isuzu NPR, both front and back. Really don't want to chase old parts for the major system components. Planning on a hydroboost conversion too.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1973 m375/270

Unread post by gojoe » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:58 pm

I did a hydroboost conversion on 73. It was a lil bit of work.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:25 pm

Probably replumbing lines to the master cylinder from where the Hydro vac units were. I could see it being involved

Return to “Steering,Suspension and Tires”