1976 axles in a 1972

Post here for Steering ,suspension and tires discussion
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1972270 commerical travler

1976 axles in a 1972

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:19 pm

I got the front axle out from under the 76 today. wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The rig does have to go up in the air a bit to "roll" the axle assembly out with the shock towers still attached, but other than that it was pretty straight forward. \n\nI intended on harvesting the frame mounts but the drivers side storage compartment prevents access to one of the rivets along the side of the frame. I was only able to cut the front mount rivets completely. \n\nI plan on dragging the shell out of the shop and blocking it up for rear axle removal. Then I will load up both assembly's on a trailer and power wash them until all the grim is gone. \n\nI was also able to harvest the mounting brackets and plates for the steering box and master cylinder assembly incase dodge made big changes between 72 and 76.
preping for axle removal.JPG
spring mount 1.JPG
Front Axles out.JPG
Front Axles out2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Travco Model:

Re: 1976 axles in a 1972

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:52 am

Looks like fun!

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1972270 commerical travler

Re: 1976 axles in a 1972

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:50 pm

I started on the rear axle tonight. Although there is less moving parts, it went a lot slower. bigger bolts, tighter nuts, lots of dirt, crud, and spiders.... I managed to get all of the bolts out except one. its pinched in its hole pretty tight. \n\nIf you have never pulled the entire axle assembly out before, be warned- the rear leafs have a lot of spring left in them. at quitting time tonight I have the passenger side unbolted and now the springs are pushed up through the plywood floor. I wish I would of thought of that before I let the body down to move the jack. I would of put a block in there. \n\nI will jack up both sides and block them up and hopefully get the pressure of the remaining bolt and then figure out a way to slide the axle out from under the rig. \n\nI will take some pics next time.

Return to “Steering,Suspension and Tires”