Larger tire options for building lifted Travco?

Post here for Steering ,suspension and tires discussion
Author
Travco Model: Nothing yet

Larger tire options for building lifted Travco?

Unread post by L_S » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:28 pm

I see some people mention they are running 225/70 - 19.5" tires on their travcos. This calculates to about a 32" tall tire. Or a Samson 8R19.5 which is supposed to be 34" tall..\n\nI am dreaming of a lifted travco with bigger tires to match, maybe something like 38" tall all-terrain tires? How much room is there in the fender wells for wider tires? Preferably I could keep the tires from protruding out of the wheel wells so they aren't always throwing a bunch of road grime and rocks up onto the body.\n\nJust daydreaming and it is kinda hard to think up how much lift / tire height is 'necessary' / aesthetic : I would like to build something 4x4 with a somewhat aggressive stance and great ability on icy roads, sandy beaches etc, and gain a little bit more departure angle considering the body's long overhang beyond the rear axle. Something that looks cool and when you look at it , you wonder woah is that thing 4WD?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Larger tire options for building lifted Travco?

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:21 am

I know there have been some with larger wheels and tires. There were axle swaps or chassis swaps to get it done.\n\nhttps://www.facebook.com/pg/whereisbasecamp/abo ... e_internal

L_S
Travco Model: Nothing yet

Unread post by L_S » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:26 am

Great link, and LOL! - I saw that rig at the "beach" at Arapahoe Basin ski area on March 6 ( last week ) and started searching for "1960s dodge motorhome" (his says DODGE above the grille ) after skiing all day.\n\nI snapped a couple quick pictures for my reference. That Travco looked really awesome and made me want one. And I think they had a wood stove burning inside all day 8-) \n\nDang it! I should have gone and said hello to their group.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 am

1) Find a Travco first... make sure it is the one you really want. I would look for a 1968 or older 270 or a 1969 and older 210 if that's the body style you really like. Maybe consider the 220's with their squared off back ends.\n\n2) You will probably want to find a donor vehicle (like a F-550) and do a complete axle swap. This is the time to plan the lift and wheel/tire size.\n\n3) This would be a major undertaking but well worth it if you plan to keep the vehicle for years to come.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1972 270

Unread post by Kckalden » Sun May 27, 2018 2:11 pm

As we speak my Travco is in my shop getting replacement axles front and back and an Cummins Allison transplant. I have 9r22.5 tires to go on it. My donor motorhome was a 1991 Georgia Boy on an Oshkosh chassis. It had 6 lug 8r19.5s which as you mentioned are about 33 inches tall. Combine that with 3:73.1 rear end and a 1.1 tranny ration the Cummins would be maxed out and only going about 65 mph. Changing to the 22.5 will put me around 38 inches and the rear being a Dana 80 I geared it with 3:31.1s so now at governed rpms I will be pushing 80 which means I will be able to cruse at a much lower rpm. \n\nIf memory serves me right the 7.50 17 stock tires are around 34 inches so 19.5s will not be a problem the hardest part will be finding 5 lug 19.5 buds. For me I need to find about 3 inches to make up the differences in radios. This week I will stick the Dana 80 in and most likely give it a 2” lift. Then I will measure and plan how I want to cut the body/skirt either enlarging the existing shape proportunatly or rounding it out like basecamp. Once the rear is done I will stab the front axle and then start scratching my head as to how to lift it. Axle blocks are not recommended for front ends. The weight of the Cummins will also have an effect on getting 38 inch tires to fit. \n\nS

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:01 pm

I originally wanted to go 4x4 with my 270 but wasn't planning on a lift. \nKeep in mind that a lifted 270 with 38" tires may not exactly handle like a dream at highway speeds. Pay attention to the load index rating of the tires. Also need to space the rears so not to kiss at the bottoms. Speed may be governed more by the pucker factor than anything else.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Kckalden » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:33 pm

9R22.5 tires are made for the 6.75 wide rims so they won’t kiss. 1.25 lift will have little effect especially since I removed the 3/4 block from the right side. Factory travco springs are being used in the rear therefor that part of the ride won’t be affected. Since the donor front axle is made for wider life’s I do need to swap springs and hanger in the front. The donor has fewer but thicker and longer Leafs so it should be a decent ride but I will know on a test run. \n\nYou seam to think I want a race motorhome. No. The reference to top speed was a benchmark reflecting the fact she will be cruising at much lower rpms. Isn’t that the big hurdle everyone has been dealing with Cummins swaps? \n\nAs for me doing conversions this ain’t my first rodeo. I sold my heavy equipment repair business in 2009 but during my 35 years as a mechanic I have done several retrofits to equipment and Cummins conversions to old doge trucks. My daily driver is a 1980 4 door dodge diesel and my son is driving another diesel conversion we did in 1994. \n\nI hope this clears things up.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:07 am

Kckalden wrote:9R22.5 tires are made for the 6.75 wide rims so they won’t kiss. 1.25 lift will have little effect especially since I removed the 3/4 block from the right side. Factory travco springs are being used in the rear therefor that part of the ride won’t be affected. Since the donor front axle is made for wider life’s I do need to swap springs and hanger in the front. The donor has fewer but thicker and longer Leafs so it should be a decent ride but I will know on a test run. \n\nYou seam to think I want a race motorhome. No. The reference to top speed was a benchmark reflecting the fact she will be cruising at much lower rpms. Isn’t that the big hurdle everyone has been dealing with Cummins swaps? \n\nAs for me doing conversions this ain’t my first rodeo. I sold my heavy equipment repair business in 2009 but during my 35 years as a mechanic I have done several retrofits to equipment and Cummins conversions to old doge trucks. My daily driver is a 1980 4 door dodge diesel and my son is driving another diesel conversion we did in 1994. \n\nI hope this clears things up.
\n\nNo worries... I was mostly still responding to the OP in this thread in a general way. Your post just reminded me of a few more thoughts on this topic. Keep in mind that this is a user forum that many people read, contribute to and get ideas from.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Kckalden » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:59 am

Cool. That makes better sense. Could not figure how you wold be worried about load ratings on 9r22.5 truck tires or tires kissing. My mistake in think it was a direct response to my post.

Return to “Steering,Suspension and Tires”