Steering Help

Post here for Steering ,suspension and tires discussion
Author
Travco Model: 1973 - 270

Steering Help

Unread post by padave29 » Tue May 03, 2016 10:50 am

Okay, guys, forgive the newbie for ANOTHER topic. My '73 has about 133k miles on it, and I notice a fair amount of play in the steering wheel, though she steers very easily. I also notice that when I'm stopped or not moving much, there is an audible hissing noise. If I turn hard, the noise is constant - if I'm not turning too hard, it may be intermittent like shh-shh-shh-shh! (Don't you love the attempt at sound effects?). I also notice that when I hit rough spots in the road, the overcorrection can be a problem, if I'm not paying attention. Now, the problem is not unbearable. I just drove her for 8 hours last weekend, and I had no problems. But, I figure I should ask/repair early, rather than wait until I'm in the middle of nowhere and have no real options. Suggestions? What typically goes bad in Travco steering? And how much of a pain in the @$$ is it gonna be? lol\n\nThanks in advance!\nD

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Steering Help

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue May 03, 2016 6:58 pm

Start by having someone "shake" the wheel while you inspect the front end components for wear.\n"Shaking" the wheel means your assistant will rock the steering wheel back for the amount of play.\nThe lash can be tightened on the steering box but this will generally result in the stub shaft seal leaking. Not a big deal t change. \nCan't help with the noise. Steering pumps usually make a growling sound when going bad. Perhaps post a youtube video of the noise and link it here ?\nThese things don't steer all that great and many factors can play also. Does it have radials or rags for tires ? Are the front shocks good ?(Bad front shocks can cause bump steer).\nAlso check the alignment. Simple tape measure is all that is needed. Toe the front 1/8" in.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Return to “Steering,Suspension and Tires”