updating the alternator?

Post here for living area electrical.
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

updating the alternator?

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:15 am

Has any tried to put a newer style alternator on a Travco?\nI know Chrysler switched over to Denso in the 80's and I have a 95 Plymouth Acclaim and a 98 Chrysler Town and Country in the yard that I need to scrap.\nThe 90 Dodge B250 van I used to have had a 120 amp Denso on its 318 and I had replaced it once with on off a 92 Grand Caravan after a pulley swap.\nI am very temped to see if I can put the 6 month old 120 amp Denso from the T&C on the 440 using the pulley off of the 95 acclaims 85 amp denso.\nI am a ham radio operator and plan to put a few radios in the RV and would like a little more power for those. \n\nThanks\nPaul

Travco Model:

Re: updating the alternator?

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:54 pm

You would have to wire it to eliminate the external voltage regulator... hardest part would be bolting it onto the engine. If you do get it work, post up some pics and a few details!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:24 pm

This is the good thing about the Denso used by Chrysler. It is externally regulated. Up to 1990 on the b series vans they used a standard regulator. After 90 they were regulated by the ECM. I will give it a try. Chrysler was good with trying to use the same parts across the board and this may work. I have some other things to get done first on Nessie (yes she has a name now) and then I will give it a try.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:56 pm

can do major heart surgery and minor body parts transplants... but when it comes to\nthe electrical aspects of a rv/auto, don't mean changing light bulbs, I am a total \nmental cripple about the voltage reg. etc. Wouldn't a single wire alternator as used \nin a lot of "hot rods/coupes and roadsters" just wired into the battery suffice?\nOr take it to shop that can put new innards and make it a 100+ amp like a Motorola,\nthey used to put on some ford and Merc interceptors?\nan inquiring mind... just wanting to know... :oops: \nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:18 pm

The old Chrysler alternator can be boosted to 100 amps but you lose charging at idle. The one wire alternator is a delco unit and bolt up might be an issue. I am thinking that the denso was a direct replacement on the dodge b-series vans with the 318 and 360. I also know that a dodge caravan alternator will fit on the b series vans with a pulley change. I pulled a 120 amp alternator off a 92 dodge caravan with a 3.0l V6 and put it on a 1990 Dodge B250 with a 318 V8 by doing just that, changing the pulley. I am going to try taking some measurements on mounts and if it is close I will give it a try.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:45 pm

Chrysler did have a 100 amp alternator in 76 but it was larger and used different mounts. I thought about that possibility but finding a bracket that will work in the rv could be tricky.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:58 pm

great.. I have been a Caravan nut for years as it is the handiest vehicle I have ever owned.... Should be labled as a multi-use vehicle. I usually take them to pull a part and get about $400-500 for them as scrap (Hi mileage and worn out). Never thought those alternators were that hi of an output. thinking in the 45-55 AMP AREA...My 2000 3.3 is going thru its last winter and in the spring will off it removing a few items and making sure I will pull that 120 alt. Btw this model doesnt have a square shaped usable grill for the Travco. The 1989's, had 2 of them and kept the grills. One is installed in my 74 travco for a look see.and 1 grill left.....Still have a gmc 4 wheel suv waiting to step up to the plate if my Caravan dies on its way to valhalla...I still have a box wrench modded for removing the alt. pulley... TNX for the NFO.\nBBB

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:14 pm

hhmm.. on the different bracket... I have a friend who built a computer controlled plasma cutter.. either by a cardboard template or a converted jpg via svg which is a form for enlarging in scale or shrinking.. He could burn a bracket in a few minutes and be accurate... FWIW\nBBB\nBTW:You the one looking for the round trim on the front? The 2 main upper and lower bars are over 4 feet.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:25 pm

The caravans used a 85 or 120 amp alternator depending on the power accessories. Its sister the Chrysler T&C almost always used the 120. I am the one looking for the instrument cluster trim with the round gauges.

rcb
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: Looking for 210

Unread post by rcb » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:24 pm

The most important part is matching rotating speed. I personally would lean away from the 1 wire, self-exciting alternators as they can be a little funny near idle (on some vehicles) and have a reputation of not charging properly... but people say that about generators and I still have a generator on a couple tractors.\n\nI've made alternator brackets from strapping that's lasted for years upon years. Not fancy, but functional. Ultimately it's not hard to fish around for a bracket you can mod to work. A little welding and a bench vise and you can make all sorts of fun shapes.

Return to “Electrical”