need a picture of a properly wired breaker box

Post here for living area electrical.
Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270 Mahal

need a picture of a properly wired breaker box

Unread post by Zed » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:08 pm

This doesn't look right, wouldn't something have to be wired to the center main connection in between the 2 sets of breakers to complete the circuit between the breaker sets? I made a 110v dongle for testing, no power at any outlet. The breaker switches are shot and do not clamp down like they are supposed to, I temporarily zip tied them together to try to make contact. Wiggling them didn't help.\n\nhttps://imgur.com/a/9Zaq1

Zed
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270 Mahal

Re: need a picture of a properly wired breaker box

Unread post by Zed » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:09 pm

Nevermind, I removed the red and the black hot legs from the top of the uppermost switches and routed them to the main bus on either side of the breaker bank. It seemed pretty obvious that those huge wires were not supposed to be going into the switch end of the breakers, they are the hot end wires. All outlets now live and OMG the AC unit which I had no faith in working it up and running and blowing out cold air! Does anyone know what is supposed to actually go in the far two upper switches, which are bridged with a breaker bar and seem to be a "hold for on" type situation? Anyways I'm stoked so far this project has only needed simple repairs from what the PO did incorrectly. He didn't really tear anything up that I've found so far, just hooked up a bunch of stuff wrong. Hope my luck holds out with all this!

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:53 am

Your panel is different from mine. My feed in does go in a breaker like your picture but my panel does not have the big lugs in it

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:10 am

That is not a factory wired electrical setup... What kind of shore cord plug is on the end?\nThe wiring in the picture looks like someone may have wired the coach for 220V. The red and black are feeding backwards through their respective breakers so as to have a disconnect/breaker protection. The white wire should be neutral and the green wire is ground in this case. \nGrab a 120v/240v tester and verify if the red and black are separate voltage legs or not.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:30 pm

Basically, an RV electrical panel is considered to be a sub panel and is wired like one. So there will not be a "main" breaker.\nI would do as you said and wire the two hots to the breaker bar hot terminals. Also IIRC you DO NOT bond neutral and ground but it's been awhile. I would have to check the code book. So based on your pic, that part is ok. In reality even the way they wired it back through the breaker is ok too.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:34 pm

I have seen some travcos where the generator was hard wired and the service panel actually had a transer switch which was really just two breakers opposite each other with a bar so them you turned one off, you turned the other on but that was on a 220 which only had a 30 amp service. The 270's have 50 amp. Even though the coach is wired for 110, you are essentially bringing 2 110 hots in. The reason you dont want to put a 220 outlet or appliance in is because the way the 50-30 amp adapter plugs are wired, they bridge the two 110s...\nI probably didn't explain that right. It's kind of a hokey setup.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:39 pm

Also for the Travcos that had the 50 amp receptacle in the rear toolbox for the shore power plug, It really depended on what generator you have. ex:\nI am running a 4k Onan 120v 1ph. So I have the two hot bonded but if you were to plug a 50 amp cord into that 50 amp receptacle say to power a house, you would not be getting 2 110 hots, just one.\nIf you have the 6k onan with the extra rings, It produces 220 volts and is wired correctly so that the 50 receptacle in the storage cmpt could be used to power a house with true 220.

Return to “Electrical”