Winterizing your Travco

Cabinets, Woodwork, flooring ideas Wall panels etc.
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Winterizing your Travco

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:35 pm

I'm gonna do a how to for those of us in winter climates. Most Travcos owners are probably not newb's to RV's and this is redundant but for those who don't know.\nWhen the temp drops below 32f(0c) water freezes. We all know that right ? But what happens to water when it freezes is it expands. \nSo if you have water in ANY of your plumbing, you could end up with cracks. There are a few ways to do this. I'll post mine.\nFirst and most obvious...\nDrain the tank. Park your rig level or maybe even slightly uphill so the water runs to the outlet on the tank. Open your drain and drain it.\nNow some people just put alot of Pink RV safe antifreeze in the tank and pump it through. To some extent that works but I prefer a more intense approach. First off always make sure any antifreeze you use is RV rated and safe for potable water systems. what does Potable mean ? Drinkable. Safe for human consumption. I would not recommend drinking this antifreeze but if trace amounts remain after spring flush, your not gonna get sick. NEVER USE AUTOMOTIVE ANTIFREEZE. It is poison. Don't even use it in the drains as it will eventually end up in the ground. The RV stuff is cheaper so there is no logical reason to use anything but the right antifreeze.\nNow after draining the water tank what "I" like to do is pull the bottom plug from the hot water heater(this is on the type cut into the side of the unit that runs on propane/electric. I'll discuss the factory electric only ones later.)\nThen I hook up an air hose with compressed air to the city water inlet. (this is where you hook your hose when at a campground). I made my own adapter out of ordinary fittings found at Home Depot but they also sell ones a RV supply that use like a tire schraeder valve. Mine has a ball valve.. Make sure you can dial your air compressor down to about 20 psi. I would not put more than that through the system. Once I blow the hot water heater the rest of the way out I put the plug(can also be the anode) back in and continue with the air pressure to blow out all the faucets until no water is present. I then disconnect the water feed from the water tank and use a little hose I made up to hook it right to the influent(fancy word for IN) side of the water pump. I stick my hose into a jug of RV antifreeze and pump it to almost empty. I then pour the little bit left into the next jug and pump more until I have pink coming out of all the faucets. At the same time this is happening it's also going into the drains to protect the traps. Once this is all done. I blow it all out again and I'm done.\nNow if you have the original electric hot water heater it's a bit more of a PIA. IIRC there is no bottom drain on some models so the only thing you can do is pump alot of rv antifreeze through the system and run the hot water faucet side until pure pink. This will be a PIA to flush out in the spring. This is also why I don't pour the antifreeze into the water tank and pump it in that way. Seems to take forever to get rid of the nasty taste and odor it leaves behind. I'm gonna sticky this but leave it open for anyone who wants to add to it. I am only showing how I prefer to do it. Some just pump the stuff through. Some don't use it at all and just blow it out. Also don't forget to empty the holding tank too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Winterizing your Travco

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Also to add...The Travco was designed to be a four season camper so as long as you have the heat on, you can have water in it. The only plumbing that could freeze would be the Shower/floor drain. Pouring rv antifreeze down it after each use can prevent that. Only need a cup full.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Return to “All other interior”