1979 Travco/Foretravel For Sale

Place your for sale ads here. it is ok to place ads you find for Travcos for sale that you do not own also.
Author
Travco Model: 1979 Travco 320

1979 Travco/Foretravel For Sale

Unread post by slickandrewstravco » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:00 am

Hi Gang-\n\nWell, it looks like it's time to let the 320 go... The engine suddenly lost compression in 3 cylinders (150, 130, and 10 (!) lbs.) in September. \nAfter a $300 compression test, I was told it'd be OK to limp it back to it's storage lot. Well, it didn't make it.\nShe puked out about 20 miles from "home", so that was another $300 to get her there.\n\nOf course, this was after all of that "fire drama" a while ago... which was another $1700 to repair (which didn't work out because of inept local yokel mechanics who I'm convinced know nothing about carbs and ignition systems), but WAS worked out when I installed a brand new QJet in place of the leaky ThermoQuad, and new HEI distributor and eliminated all of the Chrysler ignition gizmos.\n\nSo, she ran GREAT until just "laying down" on us last September.\n\nMy theory is, is that when she lived in Alaska (2 owners ago) the guy had her "rebuilt" at some yokel Anchorage shop. I really think that they ONLY just did the heads, spray bombed the block, and slapped on some chrome valve covers and called it "done". I have a Bible-sized stack of reciepts here someplace, and you wouldn't believe the prices that the PPO paid to have anything done to the coach while it was in Anchorage... Wow! \n\nI'd make a good guess and say that the 3 bad holes are because of rings (150 and 130 lbs.) and a burnt piston (10 lbs.)\nWhen she died on the way back to the storage yard, I let it cool off, checked the plugs, and CRANKED. \nStill too warm, I thought, so I let her sit an hour, and when I cranked her again... BAMMO, she blew off her street side valve cover off. I suppose raw fuel leaked down past my 10 lb. piston, flooded the cranckase... \n\nLong story short, I just don't wanna put Five Grand into a rebuilt engine swap... ('cause that's about what it's gonna cost us, around here, anyhow.) Might be $10 cheaper in Anchorage, though.\n\nThat said, then... \nUp for sale is our beloved '79 Travco/Foretravel 320.\n\nThe body is good, no leaks. The windshields are good, no cracks, but of course, hazed a little around the edges.\n\nThe rear window is CRAP. Some idiot backed into it with his MOHO when we were in West VA. camping... I replaced it with Lexan, but it ain't "right". I would have replaced it with the CORRECT window, but had absolutely no luck diggin' one up.\n \nThe Coleman rooftop A/C works. It's over the bedroom. The living room unit was removed and replaced with a Fantastic Fan, some time ago.\n\nThe freezer/ice maker works.\n\nThe 8 Gallon propane water heater is new.\n\nI replaced the ThermoQuad with a Rochester QJet.. The coach was getting AN HONEST 10mpg with the new carb.\nThe carb is BRAND NEW, and was built by my father. The QJet Master of The Universe.\n\nI replaced the Chrysler Hall Effect distributor, and all of the other stock components, with a modified OLD DODGE STYLE distributor that has a GM HEI Module integrated. It eliminates all of the "boxes" and transistors, the wiring and resistor, etc... RAN LIKE A CHAMP. All of the electrical is still like new.\n\nThe LoadFlite transmission is rebuilt, and shifts as new.\n \nThe HydroBoost functions as it should.\n \nThe M600 chassis is right and tight.\n \nThe 19.5 six lug wheels have NEARLY NEW Michelin tires on them. Tread is still "dime-deep".\n \nThe toilet was JUST REPLACED with a NEW Aqua Magic 5.\n\nThe Walnut interior is magnificent, except for a small spot on the curbside living room wall, low in the corner behind the swivel rocker. It was water damaged before we bought the coach.\n\nThe furniture is still presentable, the curtains (replacements) are all there, and made of insulated drapery material.\nRear queen "east/west" bed. LOTS of beautiful walnut overhead lockers. Great big double door, cedar lined closet.\n\nThe carpet and pad is good... It's decent commercial quality carpeting and pad that was installed by the Alaska guy. It's just ugly (brown-like) and we were gonna replace it.\n\nThe fridge only works on 110 now, somehow this just happened... it worked off of propane until this last season... but it is the original, and is getting old.\n\nThe 6.5K Onan fires right up and runs as it should, but is gonna need gaskets soon. \n\nCentral "ducted" heat is not working, but all there... but the coach is so well insulated that we got by with one oil-filled electric radiator standing near the door. We've camped when it was well down into the 20's with it that way, and it'd just about roast us outta there.\n\nThe coach has a brand new Class IV hitch on the back.\n\nAs I stated earlier... We really do love the old girl, but at this point she needs to go to someone with the shop room and/or inclination to do an engine swap or rebuild.\n \nThere is a shop in the Cleveland, Ohio area that I trust completely, that will rebuild the 440 BETTER than new, for only $1875, but alas, we have NOBODY here in Columbus that wants to drop the core and replace the engine when it came back from the rebuilder, for less than 3 Grand... and that's JUST for the pullin' and stabbin'... PLUS they wanna allow for "incidentals"... which could cost me another thousand plus. \n\nWe're asking $1,800 for her... she needs to be towed or trailered home...., but I'll consider any REASONABLE offer. \nThem tires ain't cheap.\n\nCHEERS!\nSlick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: 1979 Travco/Foretravel For Sale

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:38 am

I myself would bite the bullet on a nice 320... \nAfter so much $$$ into my 270, I would swap the engine... \nYou already are intimate with that particular unit...\nI just know you dont want to deal with a roof leak in a sticks n staples RV...\nThere are way too many Travcos out there with expensive to repair bad brakes,,,,\n BTW... my recent brake job cost was higher than your engine replacement...\nAm curious as to what shop in Cleveland will rebuild a 440-3 correctly...\nA lot of diesel talk around is feasible if you can do the swap...but a gasser is cheaper...\nI am Cleveland bound and have a 80k unit. \nBBB 11/17/15

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Where are you located ?Jeep Rob is in NW PA and has a 440 for sale very reasonably priced.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:17 am

I know that you don't want to put any more money into it but...\nI think your best option is to source a good running used engine and pay a shadetree mechanic to remove and replace it. Then you have the option of selling a running, driving motorhome. Otherwise the coach is now just a guest quarters in your driveway.

Travco Model: 1972 270

Unread post by Mopar J.T. » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Has the Travco been sold or is it still available?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:39 pm

Mopar J.T. wrote:Has the Travco been sold or is it still available?
\nIf you didn't yet, try sending him a PM. Some users have their accounts set up to email them if a PM is sent.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Return to “Travcos for Sale”