Hello

Welcome...
\nStop here first and tell about yourselves...
Author
Travco Model: 1969 - 270 2x2

Hello

Unread post by efgjr » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:04 am

Hello All. Not an owner yet. Looking at a 69 270 2x2. Runs and shifts but that's about it. Gen runs as well. Obviously the fiberglass I'm curious about. Has anyone paid to have one redone outside? I'm good with rv repairs on inside. And have access to a great reasonable mechanic. It's the fiberglass I'm not familiar with. He's asking 2000 for it. Thoughts on exterior would be much appreciated. Thanks

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Hello

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:39 am

Welcome to the Froum. There are a few here that can give different ideas on how to repair or refinish the fiberglass.
I wish I could help but odds are I will be repainting our 76 Mahal 2+2 in the next few years. I am not looking for a show quality finish and fully expect to keep using the old girl for many years to come.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 220

Unread post by Woodsman » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:08 pm

I don't know what a shop would charge but like most things labour will be the big chunk. There is about 1000sqft of area to be prepped and painted and with the sheer size of the beast there will be few shops that can do it. Depending on where you are it might be worth talking to a place that does boat repair.

You need proper safety equipment but fibreglass is easy to work with. The real problem is the mess from the prep work. There should be a collection/filter system for the dust created by sanding, it's not something you want sprinkling all over your property. To paint it properly the gelcoat needs to be repaired or stripped and that is labour intensive. I have read a couple posts on what I see as quick or temporary fixes for paint, but I would question the longevity and the quality of the finish. The great thing about fibreglass is that if it is repaired properly its good for another forty years.

Travco Model: 1969 - 270 2x2

Unread post by efgjr » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Thanks. I have some small fiberglass experience but looks we're not important so this is a big project. Love the rv but it's daunting for sure. I'm in a rural area so not alot of shops. I have a large awning to park it under open side no neighbors. I may do sanding myself. Definitely need to decide . Thanks again

Travco Model: dodge mahal,1970

Unread post by raydsimmons » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:19 pm

just get a couple of gallons of fleet white acrylic enamel and spray it. may take more time tapeing than anything else !

Return to “New Members Introductions”