Found a hidden one

Welcome...
\nStop here first and tell about yourselves...
Author
Travco Model: '68 270?

Found a hidden one

Unread post by Mountainmade » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:56 pm

Hey y'all
Found myself in possession of a '68 270 for "free"...
It's one of those "if you can move her, you can have her" scenarios, but she hasn't moved yet.
A friend of a friend wanted some help cleaning up some land WAAAAAY out in the boonies, and lo and behold, there she was. The guy I was helping used to live out there in it, but had left it behind because he was afraid to drive it anymore (I get it too, drums all around and the mountain roads out here are serious!)
It was damaged by tweaker squatters in the interrim, door pried open, BULLET HOLES through the expensive-looking windshield ( both panes, too... :cry: ) and one in the dash that didn't penetrate the outer fiberglass...
Somewhere along the line a '75 440 was put in (probably another rv's440-3 but I haven't actually looked at the serial), which is nice. Unfortunately it's clear that the wiring for the swap was a rush job (somebody didn't know that the RB blocks are backward compared to A/LA blocks) so some gauges won't be working... But the fluids and fundamentals seem sound, so I imagine it'll go and if not, I got an old 360 and trans that will.
Hopefully I can get her moving, I have until the snows to get her out, 'cause it'd be a MIGHTY tow fee which I'd still pay, but I'd rather not.
You will see me around with questions from time to time, this place has been an immense help already though...
Cheers!
-M

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Found a hidden one

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:20 am

Congrats on the find. Yes the windshields are expensive but still available. Welcome to the madness that is Travco. The free ones are usually the most expensive in the end.....

Travco Model: '68 270?

Re: Found a hidden one

Unread post by Mountainmade » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:22 pm

I'm glad to be a part, as it's just an extension of my Dodge habits... I'd signed up awhile ago in anticipation, knew she was out there, but hadn't had the opportunity to look her over and work out a deal until recently.
I feel pretty comfortable picking it up because most everything works, quirks aside. She isn't my first RV rebuild, either. But that said, there's little to be done for extinct parts, and the only thing to do for what isn't totally gone is pay through the nose...

Return to “New Members Introductions”