Latest Owners - 1970 Travco 270

Welcome...
\nStop here first and tell about yourselves...
Author
Travco Model: 1970 Travco 270

Latest Owners - 1970 Travco 270

Unread post by SilentOne » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:51 am

Hello. Just bought a 1970 Travco 270.

The marketing came off to us as road ready and safe. He said everything works except the oven and the battery charger, and we believed him. It appeared pretty decent, and we had just driven 320 miles to see it, first in line with a classic RV flipper hot on our heels, or so we were told.

We were in between storms and had a day to do it, so we did. And too much money later we were driving it home.

He said, "be careful of the hydra boost, it'll throw you through the window", so I took note and said to myself, 'there's something to this hydra boost statement, so remember that', and I did - been kind of learning here of late.

Yeah, those brakes were touchy, and you needed the second press to gain some pedal for the main breaking stroke. And you better be good at feathering, which I am. All in all, the trip back felt good and we got home safe and sound. Now to learn and do.

Our last related projects were a 1968 Travel Queen truck camper and a 1964 Roadrunner canned ham. This one will mostly be to get it up to snuff for use, and pass it to the son and his family for the main restoration and/or customization.

Travco Model: dodge mahal,1970

Re: Latest Owners - 1970 Travco 270

Unread post by raydsimmons » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:37 pm

be care full with those brakes ! my '70 is a single line master cylinder. one line ruptures and no brakes at all. bleed first and then adjust for a full pedal. inspect the lines front to rear. if you might need brake rebuild part numbers I have them and have posted them on this site previously

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:12 pm

Sounds like an adventure.. Welcome to the forum

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1972 travco

Unread post by dirtydeno » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:08 am

Welcome!

Travco Model: 1970 Travco 270

Unread post by SilentOne » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:01 am

In the winter, I get a little lazy when the wind is blowing too hard, so I haven't yet crawled under there for a good look-see, just edge kneeling, and looking back up while upside down. That messes with my bifocals too!

But from what I could see, the mid-ship has what appears to be a vacuum booster attached to something out of sight that could easily be a master cylinder unit. So obviously this is not a hydra boost as the seller said, but rather a hydro-vac. First thing I'll be checking are hoses and lines.

My info indicates Hydra-Boost (hydraulic boost off the power steering pump) came later, in '73 or so. My '70 270, M375 chassis, 413 CID eng, Spicer 70 4.58:1 has Hydro-Vac boost (engine vacuum power brakes assist). BTW for those who know the significance of the differences between manuals of yesterday and manuals of today, I have a Motor brand Truck (and chassis) Manual from that era. Mucho detailed data, unmolested by online jackers, but well-molested by some sort of water damage (that's how second hand store purchases go sometimes).

I'll be looking this rig all over pretty good and replacing mechanicals as necessary to make it safe for the son and his family to operate. He'll maintain, and yes he has the strength to change a flat on this. But we'll be looking for tools and technique from others in the know as we go, because those have to come off to see drums and shoes right? So there's that.

I will definitely be looking for part numbers, so thanks in advance! I'll be bringing up some of these issues within the appropriate forum categories, so as to help keep these subject threads well organized.

I am brand new to "truck chassis" machines, but am excited about the old school-cool, and modifications as needed. Between Mom and Dad and Son and family, we can tackle this thing together and stay motivated, because we know how this type of project can go. 8-)

Travco Model: dodge mahal,1970

Unread post by raydsimmons » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:41 am

good attitude ! "zen" and the art of travco rebuilding...

Return to “New Members Introductions”