looking for some windsheilds

Author
Travco Model: 27

looking for some windsheilds

Unread post by kober » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi all\n I'm new to this forum and have just bought a '75 dodge mahal that had flat glass instaled. I'd like to return to the original if they are available though. Does anyone know of any suppliers or new old stock floating around out there?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: looking for some windsheilds

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Wow... A flat glass installation...one of my favorite subjects...\nAny chance of posting massive amounts of photos and possibly documentation of this install?\nAt about 500+ per side, bare, flat is the only viable alternative...\nnotice your location is omitted...\nBBB

Travco Model: 270... I think

Unread post by Franknsr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Hey Kober,\nI'm kind of new here myself. Was concerned about windshields and I noticed a couple ads here for relatively inexpensive used parts. Also came across a couple craigslist ads for Travco's with the price of "just come and get it", so they are out there, just keep looking.\nIf you want new you might try someone like this;\nhttp://www.rvglassexperts.com/\nTravco is actually on their list but I would hate to think what a new piece might cost. ;-)

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:40 am

FWIW... NOT ALL WINDSHIELDS WILL FIT ALL MODELS!... \nDifferent years have different dimensions...Be aware of this...\nBBB\ni myself have a spare set of windshields for my particular unit...

Unread post by kober » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:58 am

sorry for the delay I'm having trouble posting the pics, something about the file being too large.\nI called up a few places (rvglass experts being one ) and was told by one guy im gonna be looking for a looong time. 10 min later I called up doug at (i think) antique rv glass or something like that and he had them in stock at $645 a piece plus an extra $50 a piece for packaging and another $150 for freight (all u.s. $$$). I plan to continue ripping this thing apart to see if there are any "show stoppers" before ordering them.

Unread post by Franknsr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:43 am

badbillybiker wrote:FWIW... NOT ALL WINDSHIELDS WILL FIT ALL MODELS!... \nDifferent years have different dimensions...Be aware of this...\nBBB\ni myself have a spare set of windshields for my particular unit...
\n\nAhh, good to know. Any idea where the cut offs are? (year wise that is....)

Unread post by kober » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:42 pm

Doug said that they (travco I guess) used the same windshield for all years, but I'll confirm that before I order them.\nThe missus figured out how to resize some pics (definately not my area of expertise) so here's a couple before teardown going into the barn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Wow... pics are great....\nmore close ups? i am greedy for this type of windshield cures.\nthis is not the only travco that was converted. \nThe sysop of this site also states that travco used different size windshields. \nwrong one with wrong gasket and windshield falls out.\nI believe 1973 or 1972 and under are smaller/lower....\nFWIW\nBBB

Unread post by kober » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:31 pm

yeah the pics are nice but they give too much credit. the actual flat glass install was crap. pretty much falling out and glued together. I dont even think it was that well done from day 1 judging from the caulking lines, sorry I did'nt bother to take any closeups , but you get the idea. I prefer the original glass and am torn down so far I can probably modify it to fit what comes in (hopefully not though). As you can see ,At this point there is no half way. If I can save the shell and chassis and parts (like windshields ) are available the project is a go. End result will hopefully be a mold and rot free vintage looking class A that'll get about 13mpg (currently looking for a 12v cummins with a 6speed standard).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread post by Franknsr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:40 pm

Very nice. I'm jealous of your work space. ;-)

Return to “Glass and Gaskets”