Gaskets

Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Re: Gaskets

Unread post by RobC » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:25 pm

interior showing offset.JPG
\n\nInterior shot showing the center of the windshield offset from the weird plastic black thing that sticks down from the over head steel. the black thing (what is it?) appears centered on the coach and the image is looking straight ahead. Something aint right....\n\n
windshield passenger side lower seal.JPG
\n\nThis shows the lower passenger side windshield. Not too bad.\n\nHere is the passenger upper windshield rotated so you don't have to turn your heads....
Drivers side upper gap windshield.JPG
\n\n\n\n\n
windshield passenger side lower seal.JPG
\n\nAnd.... The obligatory gutted interior shot.\n\nCan some of you guys post a pick of your windshield seal so I can try to diagnos this issue?\n\nRob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:27 pm

OK so I am having some trouble getting the pics loaded in the right spot. \n\nCorrection above. The gaping hole is above the passenger side.\n\nthe last image shows the centerline of the coach lining up pretty good with the windshield. This gap could be off and the PO tried to center it in the hood line....\n\nRob

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:33 am

Yea... that aint right.\nI almost think that you may need to take it to an automotive/RV glass place and have them pop out and re-install the whole thing. If you have a few friends and a lot of patience you may be able to do it yourself but that glass is very rare.\nI have no idea what that thing sticking down is. :?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:23 pm

Just ordered the windshield gasket from Foretravel. 38 feet of lock ring and rubber: $187.00. \nNot bad. \n\nBuying a couple of glass suction cups from Home Depot and I have started convincing a couple of friends how fun it will be to help me reset the windshield.\n\nAny tips tricks on using sealer/glue whatever?\n\nI am measuring the rough opening to make sure it it no wracked too bad. Not sure what I will do if I find it is wracked.......\n\nRob

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Advice ??\nDon't break the windshield , it's very very expensive...lol\n\nMake sure it is very warm out. Don't attempt it in cold weather. Don't screw around trying to save the old gasket or get the glass out of it. Pull the lock ring out first then with a sheetrock knife and a brand new sharp blade and carefully cut the old gasket. Just the lip that overlaps the glass so it will pop right out and go slow and make sure you don't catch any possible knicks in the edge of the windshield glass while cutting.\n\nON install, Make sure you use the proper ball end hook tool and a good grade suction cup(I have them they work very well) and ALOT of patience. Use a good black marine grade silicone. I would not use windshield sealer on this type of glass/gasket. The stuff is very messy and difficult to work with. Make sure the side windows are in all the way.\nAgain, be very careful, and patient. Use plenty of liquid soap on the gasket to lubricate while you are installing. Don't try to put sealer in the gasket. You can do that after the glass is in.\nTrimlok sells the tools as well as various other outlets.There is a tool for putting the lock ring in. Trust me, it's worth it.\nDon't be upset if you have some leaks when you are done. That is what sillicone is for and I have yet to see one (even professionally installed) that didn't leak a little.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks for the tips Aces.\n\nThe local RV shop steered me to their go to windshield guys here in town. Since my glass is in good shape and I have the gaskets- I think I am going to have those boys do it.\n\nThe center gasket was either too short or shrank which left a rather larger (1/2 inch square) full on hole on the windshield at the bottom. I pulled the old dash board cover (vinyl and foam over Plywood and needless to say this thing had been leaking for a LONG time. Plywood was completely trashed and the foam was a perfect sponge to keep it wet year round. Damn PO......\n\nGood news is as you guys know the dash is all fiberglass and was undamaged, a bit of rust in the defroster pan which is steel but no holes.\n\nUntil I get the glass reset I found a perfect patch for the hole: Nerf bullet. My kids got a kick out of it with the little orange tip sticking out but it sealed it perfectly! for the short term anyway.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:05 pm

yeah my dash is shot too.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:31 am

Looked up "Trimlock"... Which is the correct number to order?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:32 pm

For what ? Gaskets ? Tools ?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Trimlock Gaskets

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:32 am

Was curious as to what part number you ordered and worked.\nI would like to order one time. Gasket for Travco
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Glass and Gaskets”