TravcoForum.com

Travco Classic Motorhome Support & Discussion Forum

Skip to content

Change font size

Board index » Exterior » Glass and Gaskets

Re: Windshield Replacement

Unread postby RobC on Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:46 pm

I talked to my local window guy recommended through my trusted mechanic about resetting and re-sealing the cluster-f___ job my PO did on my windshields. I have the gasket and lock strip and he estimated about $200 per side in labor.

He did give me a very matter-of-fact warning about the fogging delamination. He said I need to be prepared in the event one or both break. he said the fogged edges are very brittle as the gain most of their strength from the two-ply bonded, curved glass. He says the use a company that makes custom windshields and thought it would be cheaper than the estimates above. We will see.

it is one of those things were you can't really give it a try and hope for the best. If it breaks you gotta get a new windshield. I can only drive with goggles for so long....

I will let you guys know what the estimate for the glass is when I get it.

Rob

In the meantime he gave me some almost expired (new) tube of special windshield sealer with no solvents in it for plugging holes here and there.
RobC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Travco Model: 1976 270

Unread postby badbillybiker on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:29 pm

once again... rearing its ugly head is the Travco windshield problem...do a search for FLAT GLASS in this sites search engine...
IF what you see MIGHT be a more serious, econmical and practical move... this might be the way out with replacement flat
glass at $150.00 per side tinted & installed.
BTW: To "mold" the glass you need an oven the right size and a form for the glass to conform to while hot...
Cant see that being done for only a couple of Hunnert' dollers...FWIW
BBB
badbillybiker
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Travco Model: 270

Unread postby datsit on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:34 pm

Try this guy out ?? RV Glasparts Vintage Motorhome Glass
datsit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor