Gel-coat repair

Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: Gel-coat repair

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:31 am

I think if it is pleasing to the owner, being peel resistant and chip proof, I would want it to be a "permanent job" \nHow much longer will these be on the road?.. Already massive amounts of Travcos are gone where they once numbered in the thousands...listings are getting smaller and I feel a lot should be stripped and trashed but some feel that these are deserving of some of the ridiculous prices that they got on the cheap and now trying to capitalize on the diminishing rapidly numbers... IMO of course...Looking for some type of coating to fill in the crazing or gel-coat cracks...Would not like looking at a Travco line up of 15 camo painted to hide the cracks units...\nBBB

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:14 pm

Almost hate to ask this, but...\n If I use an automotive epoxy high fill primer, over a cleaned and scuffed gelcoat which is crazed substantially but not falling off, all over the rig, then board sand it down so that just the craze cracks are filled and surface is smooth, then apply color coat, would this last fairly well? I think that you are saying not, but wanted to make sure.\n I have heard that these high fill epoxy primers are a bit "flexible", so thought that as long as they adhere, the crazing may not show up for a while. If I can make it look good for 10yrs, that is probably enough.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:36 am

I don't see why not. Any paint job is probably better than just letting it look old and faded. I painted my roof and rear section with Rustoleum using a roller and brush technique and it came out pretty decent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:36 pm

before I started this forum I had a thread going on another forum about stripping one of these. \nhttp://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/my-rest ... 52453.html
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks for the link and great info! While I don't have any body damage to speak of, I'll need to do much of the interior work that you did. Makes me think of lots of questions :mrgreen:

Return to “Body, Paint Gelcoat specific”