Author
Travco Model:

Re: Gel-coat repair

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:52 pm

I will probably take the "Vette" approach too. :D

Travco Model: 69210

Unread post by 69210 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:02 pm

If you are experienced in fiberglass repair & paint, then "yes," treat the exterior as would any fiberglass vehicle. \n\nFiberglass itself is definitely rigid enough.\n\nProblem is that Dodge 'injected colors' into the fiberglass itself and used Gelcoat as a preservative. \nGelcoat cracks under wind, sun, cold, heat --all those outdoor things that a motorhome is subject to.\n\nIf the gelcoat was properly waxed from new and the Travco stored inside, or at least covered, the exterior crazing & cracking of the gelcoat is not so bad. Most, however, did not wax or care for their Travco exteriors properly and we current owners are faced with the resultant mess.\n\n
Acesneights wrote:I never messed with Gelcoat. I was gonna treat mine like a Vette and just spray it after I stripped it. The gelcoat doesn't seem to hold up to well on these. My 1970 was bought new by my dad and it was cracking by the late 70's. I don't think the fiberglass is rigid enough on these like it is on boats. I think paint will hold up better.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Painting over the gelcoat before it cracks seems to preserve it as well.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Unread post by RobC » Thu May 01, 2014 12:43 pm

Best I can tell mine was painted maybe at the factory. The crazing and cracking is minimal and easy to fix (I have had a number of old boats and unfortunately I am now expert at gelcoat and fiberglass repair).\n\nMy coach sat outside so the paint got pretty dirty I washed it last night then hit it with white scotchbrite and 409 which worked to an extent but the paint has some deep down dirt I think I have to sand or buff out. \n\nAny tips on how to clean up off-white paint without taking it all the way down?\n\nI have heard white scotch brite and Barkeeps Friend works but will I have to buff it out after that? \n\nIt is going to get a new paint job for now I am only doing the strip and wait a year or so for the big paint job.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Tue May 20, 2014 5:08 pm

update:\n\nBarkeeps friend and white scotch brite is the ticket. Takes the deep stains right out and buffs it so it will take wax or that floor polish stuff. My rig was definitely painted and the PO tried to rattle-can white some of the repairs he did.\n\nI need to try and match the off-white cream color for some repairs and just live with it. Next project on the exterior is a new stripe. I have enlisted my spouse to pick the color.\n\nGot to go to the paint store and see if they can match a piece of the genny door that broke off. \n\nThought about a decal. Looks like the lower strip was originally a decal (the paint is all shiny and slick looking where the decal covered it for so many years. Anybody have any luck with decal application. price?\n\nRob

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue May 20, 2014 7:51 pm

The factory white finish is the color of the gelcoat. Travco did not paint them, only the stripes or reverse patterns. The gelcaot is an off white. If you have white paint, someone painted it.\nRepairing the gelcoat on these is much more difficult. On a boat you can use a planer. These are too flimsy and uneven. It needs to be ground off with 36 grit on a 8inch mudhog. Not pretty. It cost me my elbows...

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue May 20, 2014 7:54 pm

RobC wrote:update:\n\nBarkeeps friend and white scotch brite is the ticket. Takes the deep stains right out and buffs it so it will take wax or that floor polish stuff. My rig was definitely painted and the PO tried to rattle-can white some of the repairs he did.\n\nI need to try and match the off-white cream color for some repairs and just live with it. Next project on the exterior is a new stripe. I have enlisted my spouse to pick the color.\n\nGot to go to the paint store and see if they can match a piece of the genny door that broke off. \n\nThought about a decal. Looks like the lower strip was originally a decal (the paint is all shiny and slick looking where the decal covered it for so many years. Anybody have any luck with decal application. price?\n\nRob
\nI was thinking decal myself, realtree camo pattern. I talked with a Realtree vendor and they said the decals work excellent on fiberglass.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed May 21, 2014 9:39 am

RobC, You need to post some pics !

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Wed May 21, 2014 12:08 pm

I will post pics. My rig is so brutally ugly I am actually ashamed. I know you guys don't care but I have been reluctant. Now is the time though to show it in its completely stripped down state prior to rebuild. do have some lingering electrical questions that need to be explained via pics. Stay tuned.\n\nRob

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed May 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Yeah once the gelcoat starts flaking off badly, there is really no alternative to stripping it. I tried a few different things on the parts junker I have to see if something else would work. I even tried spreading resin in the cracks. NG. I tried polyester filler, NG

Return to “Body, Paint Gelcoat specific”