Have Avco will Travel

Travco Vans, Superior Motorhomes...basically anything Dodge based.
Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: Avco actually

Re: Have Avco will Travel

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:33 pm

I did some initial checks and tank full reads about 40-50 ohms which give reads about 1/2 a tank. But that is what it always read; so there might be an issue with the gauges. The mechanical voltage regulators in the gauge cluster was known to be unreliable and cause the gauges to be inaccurate. That might have something to do with it. Thinking ahead I'm looking at starting from scratch with all the gauges and doing a custom layout. The current setup is a jumbled mess.
1978 Avco Grand Touring 32'\nImage

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:00 am

Not sure what Gauges you have but I can tell you the Travco ones leave alot to be desired.\nI have already put an Autometer volt meter in mine.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:35 am

I can relate to what ya'll mean about the gauges. When driving, I find myself leaning and looking around the steering wheel to view some of them.\nI really need to fix my fuel gauge as well as install a tachometer. If my generator starts and runs, I figure that I must have a 1/4 tank of fuel... sure hope that is true. :)

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:55 am

77Travco wrote:I can relate to what ya'll mean about the gauges. When driving, I find myself leaning and looking around the steering wheel to view some of them.\nI really need to fix my fuel gauge as well as install a tachometer. If my generator starts and runs, I figure that I must have a 1/4 tank of fuel... sure hope that is true. :)
\n\nYeah, the gauge layout is a ridiculous mess. The previous owner add all kinds of extra gauges seemingly without rhyme or reason. He added a tach that totally blocks the speedo. :roll: \nWhat I have in mind is totally removing all the gauges; going with a 1/2" oak board that is nicely beveled and finished fit the space; then locate new gauges in a logical and useful layout. Newer speedos do not rely on a mechanical cable. They electronic, easily calibrated and very accurate. \nIn the mean time I have come up with a simple circuit to make the fuel gauge read somewhat accurately. Involves a transistor and a few resistors. Need to build it and test first but should work great.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:43 am

Hi Guys,\nNot posted about the Avco in a while. \nBeen a busy last few months here.\nStill fixing things. Went to get the thing registered finally; found the old man signed the title in the wrong place so they handed it back to me.\nI called the original owners and couldn't get an answer. The man was in very poor health; I hope he is still kicking! :o \nOther headaches was after much testing all the batteries turned out to be bad. So I ponied up $$$ for 2 Trojan T105P coach batteries and a Optima for the start battery. \nThen I found the Trojans were too tall for the battery tray (by a 1/2"). Have to mod the tray to make them fit. Not had a change to put all that back together. \nAll the generator issues are straightened out. They were all carb related. \nApplied the "floor finish" treatment to the exterior. Must say it looks good. \nBefore it looked very chalky but it made it look good. \nImage\nYou can see the front to the door has 4 application of Zep acrylic finish. From there back none. \nBesides getting the thing properly registered I have a wheel on the tag axle locked up. I have to fix this issue before I can drive it. \nThere is always something. :roll:

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Mon May 18, 2015 8:50 am

I'm still here!!\n\nWow. Not posted on the AVCO thread in 2 years. \nI'm really sorry but the old saying is "life happens".\n\nWell, I still have it. But I had to move it to the family farm (my inlaws) some 35 miles from me because my neighbors were not to happy about it sitting on the street in front of the house. \nI put a cover over it and there it has sat since. We are usually out there a couple times a month so I crank it up and check things. \nWe are in the process of working on the house to put in on the market. I plan on buying a place in the country that has plenty of room for a large shop to properly store and work on the Avco. \n\nLong term I purchased it for a project mainly. Running it on gas would only get about 5 mpg at best. That is unworkable. A 6BT diesel conversion would get me into the teens in fuel mileage and that is the goal. But for that kind of work I have to have a descent place to work on it and right now I just don't .

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Have Avco will Travel--Fairwell Avco.......

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:12 am

Greeting everyone.\nWell as much as it pained me to do it I sold the Avco. I had to face up to the fact I wouldn't have the time nor the place to \ndo the work I planned for a long while. Our house is on the market and everything is on hold until we sell out and move. \nThe Avco has been parked at my in-laws farm for the past 2 years under a cover. I would go out and start it up and let it run for a bit to charge the batteries; run it through the gears and make sure there was no leaks, or problems. \nWell, they got to "hinting around" that it was in the way. (which it really wasn't). But the truth is they are tried of looking at it and wanted it gone. \nSo now I have no place to keep it and no time to work on it. It is time to sell it. \nThe buyer was thrilled, I just wanted my money back out of it so I sold it relatively cheap. He said he had a similar one years ago that he and his wife traveled in. He is a retired guy and apparently has money and plenty of spare time. \nGuess the Avco is in good hands now.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:40 pm

Sorry to hear. I though about selling my Travco this summer since I have not been using it much this year and the wife of all people forbid it..\nHer thoughts were, You'll sell it too cheap, then spend 2x as much buying another one...KEEP IT!! :mrgreen: \nThe new owner of your Avco is welcome here.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Return to “All Other Dodge related Motorhomes”