Dodge Oasis

Travco Vans, Superior Motorhomes...basically anything Dodge based.
Author
Travco Model: 1976 dodge travco

Dodge Oasis

Unread post by dlofc » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:23 pm

I managed to get my hands on a Dodge oasis's I was wondering if someone could possibly give some more information about them. It is decent'y nice except for the blasted ignition system, no spark situation that I cannot track down and I have replaced all the ignition system with new. I finally broke down and ordered and davis unified ignition to cure the finiky dodge ignition. I would like a little more information on these if anyone could held, it has the fiberglass body and the toilet/shower combo in decent shape.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Dodge Oasis

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:22 pm

Post some pics.\nWhat year is it ? Points or electronic ignition ?\nThere is not much to these igniion systems. Usually very easy to diagnose.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:29 pm

FWIW... Set the points, gap w/matchbook cover if applicable. Connect the coil to the battery, place a screwdriver across the starter solenoid shorting it out and starting the engine. fastest, dirtiest and quickest way to get it running... HTH\nBBB

Unread post by dlofc » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:04 am

it is electronic ignition, title says a 1976, it has a 318/727, and when I go back down to install the DUI I will take some pictures. I have replaced the ignition system completely component wise and I have been going through the harness looking for the bad wire finally decided to go with a DUI after reading on a travco site about someone else's ignition woes too. I am looking more for some background on the oasis itself, found plenty of info on travco but cant find any on the oasis. I traded a pop up camper for this and it was running till we went to change out the battery and found out someone used red for neg and black for positive i even drove it a little.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:37 am

I know that there were Dodge Oasis motorhomes built in the 1960's and 70's but can't say whether or not if there was an actual RV manufacturer named Oasis. I do know that more than one RV manufacturer has used the name "Oasis" on some models over the years.\n\nAs far as the ignition issue... If you reversed polarity then you may have zapped the ignition board. Don't forget that the ignition board must have a good clean ground.\nIf you are getting voltage at the coil when the key is on then move down the line and check the condition inside the cap and rotor. I am actually a Chevy guy but I have found these Mopar ignition systems to be simpler than I expected.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:31 pm

Put a test light on the coil by connecting the clip to the neg and the probe to the pos and crank the engine. The test light should blink as it's cranking. All the electronic ignition basically does it breaks the negative side of the coil intermittently to create a spark from the coil. Let us know what you get.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Unread post by dlofc » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:31 am

yeah already tried that coil is not firing but brand new coil, ignition box, ballast resistors, pickup coil, starter relay. coil has 12v to it,no pulse. pickups gaped to .006 (that was the speck i found) and they are sending pulse to ignition box. start/run relay is fried tried the bypass to no help. For good measure I checked continuity for the ignition box for all four prongs they were all well within spec and ground was good although the old box was thoroughly fried, along with the old coil and ballast resistor. I had to have melted a wire and on this model getting to some of them in the fender is a pain for a man and I tried sending my wife and got description like that "that plastic thingy over there you know" or "the big greasy wire that runs into a clippy thing over here" so It will get fixed on way or another confident of that.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:20 am

I feel your pain!... :D \nLet us know what you find.

Unread post by dlofc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:30 pm

I got hed home the davis unified dizzy worked wonders and it got home with a few hiccups like lost the fuel pump but it made it. Everything works with exception of fridge and the black water tank needs patched I already have the fiberglass kit to fix it. on the fridge it is a propane\electric it has current on electric and i have tried propane it cooled the first night now nothing any ideas to fix or get the amonia circulating again. Also even though i am glassing the bottom of this tank eventually it will need replaced i mean it is only a drip right now but it will still eventually need replaced so any good sources for replacements?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:52 am

Your are off to a reasonably good start. There is a "plastic" welding kit w/optional different colored plastic filler rod available..\nHad called HF years ago and bitched that their rods did not come with a code for applications. (Like brazing filler rod) Later a chart was, is now included. Scraps of selected pieces of plastic can also be used. Way cheaper for the kit than pulling your tank. Odds are way way against you finding a replacement that will fit... I got 2 different kits so I know they are for real.\nFWIW... If that fridge wont work, scrap it and goto HD or lowes and get a smaller straight fridge that will work, draw less "juice" and operates if you are NOT level...Save yourself a lotta' monies and headaches..My latest also does not work and its going the way of going on to my front lawn for a scrapper, I wont even consider the effort of trying to repair the original ammonia POS and as a bonus you will have extra storage space or a place for a micro...IMO\nBBB

Return to “All Other Dodge related Motorhomes”