Faulty Nuetral Safety Switch

Transmissions, Rear Diff, etc.
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Faulty Nuetral Safety Switch

Unread post by RobC » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:06 pm

Turn of the key a few weeks ago to fire up the beast got the big NUTHIN.\n\nFollowed the manual decision tree and by a series of hot wires on the start relay, determined it was a the Neutral Safety switch. Ordered new one ( and a new starter relay) and swapped em both out. The PO had scabbed in a ground from the NSS terminal (ground) to the chassis and basically bypassed it. \n\nreason for the post is: If your quick with your thumb- you can swap it out without draining the tranny fluid. \n\nOnly a mild geyser of pink fluid when I pulled it out with my left hand and put the new one in with my right hand.\n\nUpon inspection the NSS switch plunger was stuck in the depressed position. I think the new NSS was $14 and the start relay was $12. \n\nI need to do the shift-shaft seal but I think I need to drain the pain for that. Anybody done it from the top? My rig has no floor so I can get to it really easily. that seal is a bit more delicate though and I won't be able to manhandle it like the NSS\n\nRobC

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: Faulty Nuetral Safety Switch

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:20 am

Interesting quick cure..Parts seem affordable to have spares.\nAny part numbers for your fix????\nBBB

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Re: Faulty Nuetral Safety Switch

Unread post by RobC » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:52 pm

Posted parts numbers in parts section.

Return to “Drivetrain”