Leaking rear axle

Transmissions, Rear Diff, etc.
Author
Travco Model: 1972 D270 413

Re: Leaking rear axle

Unread post by broomeju » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:10 am

Interesting. It appears when the hydraulic leveling system (which is now defunct but interested to rebuild someday...) the stock breather and vent were replaced with this little homemade vent. I'm not too impressed with it....it was full of grit and oil/grease.

not only was it apparently no longer acting as a vent but the gunk it was clogged with would appear to have been also entering the differential / axle itself. The threaded tube section of this fitting was clogged completely with stuff that was coming from the outside heading to the inside.

have ordered a gasket for the differential cover and once i have that will clean & pull & drain & clean some more......

and put a proper breather on there with some kind of filter to keep the diff insides clean.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Leaking rear axle

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:40 am

Most of the time that is what a factory vent looks like minus the brazing. I have ssen other vent setups that were nothing more than a hole in the bolt that held the block for the brake lines in place.

Return to “Drivetrain”