Water heater/furnace

Stoves, Water Heaters, Furnace Stove Etc...
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Water heater/furnace

Unread post by RobC » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:31 pm

So I was out for my weekly cruise in my rig and realized that while the PO gutted everything, he left the water heater and the furnace sitting on the floor hooked up. \n\nThere are two large red hoses coming from the engine Cooling system, under the coach, through the floor and then into the water heater and furnace in series. the lines were hot after the engine warmed up so I assume my engine cooling/heating system is used to provide heat for water and heater. \n\nThe water heater also has an AC hook up but no gas connection that I can find. The heater has a 12v motor wire but no other means of heat input, gas or otherwise. \n\nIs this normal? Seems like a bunch of extra hose from the cooling system is asking for trouble but I wanted to know if any of you guys have/had a similar set-up. Those on-demand water systems seem pretty slick.\n\nRob

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Water heater/furnace

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:35 pm

That does not sound factory to me. Can you post pics ? They had straight electric water heaters and straight propane fired furnaces. I would be very concerned about using toxic engine coolant to heat a potable water system. NOT a good idea.\nMost people do what I did and toss the factory electric hot water heaters and cut an LP/Electric one into the side. You can look at my 270 thread for my write up on the hot water heater conversion. Ditch the one you have.\nhttp://www.travcoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16& ... rt=30#p608
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:05 am

Definitely a scab job. The furnace was moved from right by the door to aft of the right rear wheel next to the water heater. Seems like a silly mod since it would only work when the engine is running and hot. It would keep the water hot enroute but that's it\n\nDefinitely ditching the water heater. Aces is yours an on demand system? Anybody have recommendations on make and model?\n\nGood news is my converter works! I got dc to the panel?

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:55 am

My 1977 Travco 270 has engine heater hoses that run all the way to the back and through a heater core in the rear area that works just like the dash heat. There is a fan that blows the heated air out through vents near the floor.\nMy water heater is completely separate as well as my furnace.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:18 pm

This makes sense. What I was calling the furnace looks just like a heater core. The furnace is gone. I figured for passengers and keeping the coach warm while driving I will keep the heater core but get rid of the water heater scab job.\n\n77, is there an on off on yours or simply blower on/blower off situation? \n\nWhen I get around to nocking my camera pictures down on size I will post a few pics.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:50 pm

RobC wrote:Definitely a scab job. The furnace was moved from right by the door to aft of the right rear wheel next to the water heater. Seems like a silly mod since it would only work when the engine is running and hot. It would keep the water hot enroute but that's it\n\nDefinitely ditching the water heater. Aces is yours an on demand system? Anybody have recommendations on make and model?\n\nGood news is my converter works! I got dc to the panel?
\n6 gal storage.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:20 am

My rear blower has... OFF / LOW / MEDIUM / HIGH options. The heat (water flow) is controlled up front at the dash.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:31 am

FWIW... When I cut up my 1976 270 Mahall I discovered the following.\nRed heater hoses from the motor to the water heater. switching to metal pipes wrapped about the water tank for supplemental heating. The hoses continue on towards the rear, crossing over to the curb side, then onto a water heated assistance mini radiator/heater, to assist in heating the rear. NO heat regulation, either on at 1 of 3 speeds or off. \nFan speed control is on the dashboard. The furnace is located on the curb side right at the door entrance on the floor...\nYou would have to re-connect the red hoses bypassing the water heater to allow the supplement heater to continue working...\nI still have my mini heater as I was saving for another project. Any one need pics?\nHTH BBB

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:07 pm

I am going to keep the rear heater but ditch the water heater. Which hose is the send and which is the return coming out of the water pump? My red hoses are T'd into the black radiator hoses near the water pump.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:34 pm

It really doesn't matter as it is part of a "loop". The only problem I can see is if the hoses are "reversed" before entering the water heater...... (the only reason to keep the water going in the same direction as it was)...39 years or more of circulating sediment packing/packed in one flowing direction.. will certainly come loose and might create some "problems" down the road...As close as I can describe it, it would be like back-flushing a radiator where it is done to loosen all the particles gathered thru the years...and then gets flushed out... IMHO\nBBB

Return to “All other Appliances”