TravcoForum.com

Travco Classic Motorhome Support & Discussion Forum

Skip to content

Change font size

Board index » Off Topic » All other RV related Disscussions
Post up here anything else camping or RV related.
Absolutely NO Politics or Religion. Take that stuff somewhere else. This is a G Rated Forum.

Had a motorcycle wreck but ok

Unread postby 77Travco on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:19 am

I was coming back from a motorcycle trip Saturday and was just 100 miles away from home when I got smacked by a pickup truck. The weird thing is… I had a bad feeling about 20 minutes before it happened and had said a prayer when still out on the interstate.
I had just exited the highway for a gas-n-go and was sitting at a red light. I looked down to check my odometer when I heard a crash. I looked up in time to see the rear of a spinning pickup coming right at me. I put my hands against the tailgate as it impacted me and I remember thinking that this was my final moment. My right leg was caught between the bumper and my bike but somehow I managed to push up with my feet and avoided getting pinned between the vehicles. The next thing I knew, I bounced off the truck and was flying over the hood of a car. I actually managed to land on my feet before tumbling and going down completely.
It turns out that the pickup had run a red light when it was t-boned by another truck and sent spinning into me. The lady in the car next to me said that she watched as I flew over her car and thought that I was dead for sure. She was very hysterical and wanted to know how I could possibly be so calm about everything. I told her that I was just happy to be alive!
I ended up with road rash, bruises and general pain in my neck, back, left arm, right leg and chest area but no broken bones or serious cuts. I have a good guardian angel watching over me!
My Road Glide is now at the Harley dealer and may or may not be totaled. I will be loading my ol' Shovelhead behind the Travco tomorrow when I go to a motorcycle rally down the road in Bandera!
77Travco

Travco Model:

Re: Had a motorcycle wreck but ok

Unread postby datsit on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:31 pm

Glad your OK. Been down that road (not so lucky !!!)
, forced retirment & 5+ years of recovery. You'll get a new bike + $$$$ if pickup driver had insurace and convicted of running RED lite.!!!
datsit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Travco Model: 270

Unread postby badbillybiker on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:48 pm

The last two Hd's I bought had salvage titles and you could not see the damaged areas after they were remedied... Now have a SG with 1200 miles... Been riding for years with the attitude that those non-riders are out to kill you. Cheaper for the Insurance companies to total rather than repair, even minor benders...Glad you survived and with a nice lawyer will not only be reimbursed for your pain and suffering, you will be able to enjoy the coming new ride courtesy of your lawyer... Something to look forward to. The gut feeling was your premonition warning... Glad you recognized it.
BBB
badbillybiker
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Travco Model: 270

Unread postby Acesneights on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:35 pm

Glad to hear your ok.
1975 Travco 270
1974 Travco 220 Parts unit
Acesneights
Site Admin
Site Admin

Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread postby 77Travco on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:40 pm

Well... I am not as ok as I first thought. I am still having issues over a week later. Doctor says that my body took one heck of an impact and that it will be awhile before I am back to 100%.
Bike was totaled... bent frame, cracked cases, primary, etc. That sucks because I really loved that bike too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
77Travco

Travco Model:

Unread postby Glass8775 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:40 am

As a former H-D shop owner and builder of several award winning and magazine featured bikes I can say that rebuilding them for insurance is easy and we never totaled one! replacement frames are easy to come by from HD and I made the majority of my money building customers custom bikes from the insurance money for the repoairs to theirs!
Glass8775
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Travco Model: 1970 270 Dodge Mahal

Unread postby 77Travco on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:36 pm

I had the option to buy it back for $7500 but I didn't have time to mess with rebuilding it. I needed another touring bike pretty fast. I was going to buy another Road Glide but H-D skipped the 2014 model year for them.
Since I really wanted a water cooled Road Glide anyway... I just decided to make my own. ;)

BEFORE:

AFTER:
77Travco

Travco Model:

Unread postby Glass8775 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:42 am

NICE !!!! I had a similar idea at the shop but couldn't get anyone to bite onit.
Glass8775
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Travco Model: 1970 270 Dodge Mahal

Return to All other RV related Disscussions