TravcoForum.com

Travco Classic Motorhome Support & Discussion Forum

Skip to content

Change font size

Board index » Off Topic » All other RV related Disscussions
Post up here anything else camping or RV related.
Absolutely NO Politics or Religion. Take that stuff somewhere else. This is a G Rated Forum.

Historical License Plates

Unread postby diskman on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:21 pm

I looked into Historical plates for the 1975 270. South Dakota is $15.00 for life. BUT, can only be driven to the gas station, mechanic, parades or events. No limit on mileage. Figure camping is an event?

Anywho.. I sent in my check the first week of Feb 2016. After 3 weeks of waiting, I called as the state usually cashes my checks within 3 days. Got bounced around quite a bit and ended up talking to the person who actually HAD my application in their hand. They informed me that RVs were NOT registratable as Historical (30+ years).. Only Trucks, Cars and Motorcycles. They will be sending my check back..

I am now planning on spending the $250 for the annual re-up on the Travco at the Treasurers Office downtown.. Ugh.. The lines..

Go home for lunch today and shabam! Fancy new Historical plates for my 1975 TRA270 in my mailbox!

Guess they wanted my money ASAP. I'm gonna slap these on when I get home tonight. Giddy with excitement. No more registration fees for the 270. Ever. Period.

I fall within the guidelines of usage anyway. I am either on my way to the gas station or to an event out of town.

This.. Is.. Awesome..
diskman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Travco Model: 270

Re: Historical License Plates

Unread postby Acesneights on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:06 pm

I tried to do the same thing in Ct. Same deal...Has to be registered as an RV. I also tried to get Hagerty to insure it as they insure my Military trucks. They also said no.
1975 Travco 270
1974 Travco 220 Parts unit
Acesneights
Site Admin
Site Admin

Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread postby KB2CRK on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:03 pm

In Georgia an antique plate is considered a vanity plate. $85 to have it made and then an extra $35 per year to keep. Nessie has a standard passenger plate and is registered as a house car.
KB2CRK

Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread postby badbillybiker on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:19 pm

FWIW... In Ohio a "Historical" plate is $55.00 for a one time purchase and is good until 2050...
The same restrictions more or less apply where you areat.
Goto a campground to meet other old rv's. An event.
No insurance except Liability... If ever covered, value would be depreciated down to nothing.
If these are ever wrecked, only real option is to empty and strip them and get another,
Or.... Buy regular plates every year and have no BS or restrictions... One can jump back and
forth depending upon actions by local revenue agents on the licensing scheme.....IMO
BBB
(I currently have "historical" plates)... and did tell the clerk I wont be back to renew them!
badbillybiker
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Travco Model: 270

Unread postby 77Travco on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:13 pm

I run an antique plate on my 270. They are good for 5 years at a time here in Texas. On the weekends (and some week days) I drive my Travco around like its a car. I take it everywhere and have never been asked, "what I was doing" or "where was I going". Here we are allowed to drive the vehicle for maintenance purposes which includes washing it, fueling it, etc. I always carry a red rag and a few tools just in case though.
Now that I think about it... I'm always fiddling with something so I'm legal anyway. :D
77Travco

Travco Model:

Return to All other RV related Disscussions