TravcoForum.com

Travco Classic Motorhome Support & Discussion Forum

Skip to content

Change font size

Board index » Off Topic » All other RV related Disscussions
Post up here anything else camping or RV related.
Absolutely NO Politics or Religion. Take that stuff somewhere else. This is a G Rated Forum.

Camping in Below freezing weather ?

Unread postby Acesneights on Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:08 pm

Anyone here done it ? My concern is the holding tank. I would imagine the Umm...methane might generate some heat but I would be worried about the dump valve freezing and breaking. Aside from that our Travco's are 4 season campers. Also since I have a gas fired hot water heater I would imagine I would have to leave it on if I wanted to use it. I replumbed it so it could be drained and bypassed.
Might be taking a trip in a few weeks.
1975 Travco 270
1974 Travco 220 Parts unit
Acesneights
Site Admin
Site Admin

Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Camping in Below freezing weather ?

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:54 pm

I winter camped in our RV which was decidedly not 4 seasons friendly - holding tanks and plumbing were open to air underneath.

What I did was basically this - we did *not* use the toilet for anything other than liquids - if there was a #2 involved we lined the toilet with a grocery bag..and well, you get the rest.

Liquids were OK (both grey and black tanks), however I left the dump valves all open and used my blue sewer-tote tank to collect them. As expected, it froze solid so on return home I did have a bit of a mess to thaw and drain - I tossed it in the laundry sink in the basement until it thawed and then poured it in the toilet. It wasn't a super pleasant experience as even just dishwater and pee isn't the greatest smelling combination, but it wasn't terrible either.

They do make stick-on 12 volt tank heaters. I actually bought some (and still have them) with intent to make my trailer more 4th season friendly, but alas...winter camping wasn't for the wife so we only did it twice.
PrivatePilot
Technician
Technician

Travco Model: N/A (Site Tech!)

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:55 pm

Leaving the valves closed and letting liquids gather in the pipes is just a recipe for splitting them, so unless you get them heated I'd avoid closing the valves at all - things need to drain.
PrivatePilot
Technician
Technician

Travco Model: N/A (Site Tech!)

Unread postby badbillybiker on Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:05 pm

HHhhmmm... Seems I still have maybe two 12v or 110v oil dipstick heaters... Don't know if they make them anymore but if available might work thru the toilet valve?.... problem is none of them work if your rv is in storage...only if plugged into shore power or a genset. If out of necessity, a small travelling 12v hair dryer placed into a dry/clean rv toilet with the slide valve propped open and blowing warm air into the tank could possibly keep the black tank operational during cold camping until needed...my $.02 worth....
BBB
badbillybiker
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Travco Model: 270

Unread postby Acesneights on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:17 pm

Yeah the holding tank is the biggest problem. I thought about just using RV antifeeze to flush with and not charge the freshwater system but we ended up not going. She is in hibernation now for the winter.. :mrgreen:
1975 Travco 270
1974 Travco 220 Parts unit
Acesneights
Site Admin
Site Admin

Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread postby badbillybiker on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:30 pm

Having been hammered by a scary brake job I had done by a "mechanic", How often to keep the hydro's and wheel cylinders
wet can I leave the rv sit?
Its not exactly a firing up time during winters..and .Dont wanna' put a bucket of lit charcoal under it for a weekly spin around the block... recommendations/suggestions? PS sitting outside in storage lot...
BBB
badbillybiker
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Travco Model: 270

Return to All other RV related Disscussions