TravcoForum.com

Travco Classic Motorhome Support & Discussion Forum

Skip to content

Change font size

Board index » Travco Motor Homes » Travco L'Esprit

Travco LIVES!

Unread postby wjzw on Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:54 am

I have a friend whose family ran a now-defunct niche RV mfr and they acquired several Travco molds from Foretravel back in the 80s or early 90s. They are now selling the molds. They have a complete set of them for the late 1970s L'Esprit (including that space-age looking bubble for a bed over the cab, as well as molds for cowls, door panels, etc). They also have two pairs of Body Shell molds for a couple Class A Travcos (they are in the mid-upper twenties in feet-length). This would be a great leg up for a modern fibreglass shop or classic RV restorer if they'd like to reissue a retro model...and these are actual TRAVCO molds! I know this family made one-offs of the L'Esprit into the 2000s and they custom-made some new molds to accommodate different chassis (they may have placed one on a Chevy Kodiak chassis, once, if my memory is correct). I'd like to help my friend find someone who has the means and skills to bring this model back. Write me on AOL for pics. Thank you.

P.S. He also has some NOS windshields for the L'Esprit's upper bed bubble for sale...these have GOT to be hard-to-find.
wjzw

Travco Model:

Re: Travco LIVES!

Unread postby Acesneights on Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:16 am

That is quite impressive. I think most of us here don't have the means for a venture like that but it would be nice if someone did. Pictures ??
1975 Travco 270
1974 Travco 220 Parts unit
Acesneights
Site Admin
Site Admin

Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread postby wjzw on Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:09 pm

Here are some pics (note: Images of actual motorhomes are solely used for comparison purposes...there are no motorhomes for sale). I am not familiar enough with the classic RV market to know where to look but there has got to be a job shop or two led by an entrepreneur who took it upon himself to fill a need for parts that was going unsupported in the biz. Considering the popularity for the retro-style (like the Airstreams or the "new" Shasta reproduction) there has got be a special person lurking somewhere, working in his shop and considering taking the next step up, to production of a full model...and these original (approximately-40-year-old) molds would give that person a leg up on entering the market with some street cred. Just looking for a contact and appreciate any help that Travco fans could offer. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wjzw

Travco Model:

Unread postby Acesneights on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:28 pm

Wow. I hope someone buys them.
1975 Travco 270
1974 Travco 220 Parts unit
Acesneights
Site Admin
Site Admin

Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread postby KB2CRK on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Looks like the molds are mid 70's. I really hope someone gets these. One picture looks like a 220 mold. the others are longer but not a great look. The E'sprit molds are very cool.
KB2CRK

Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread postby KB2CRK on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Looks like the molds are mid 70's. I really hope someone gets these. One picture looks like a 220 mold. the others are longer but not a great look. The E'sprit molds are very cool.
KB2CRK

Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread postby 77Travco on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:18 am

This could be a goldmine for anyone that wants to get into the retro RV business. I have too many projects... 10 years ago and it might have been another story.
77Travco

Travco Model:

Unread postby Jobe on Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:52 pm

I recently lost the fiberglass door that houses the shore power cord while traveling across Nebraska in my L'esprit it would sure be handy to borrow the mold or buy a door pulled from it. I can build my own off the opening size and lower body profile but thats alot of work.
Jobe

Travco Model: L'esprit

Unread postby 77Travco on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:07 am

Make one out of cardboard first... then copy that one into a metal or fiberglass version.
77Travco

Travco Model:

Unread postby badbillybiker on Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:27 am

reality is rough.. IF some one would make body shells from the molds, I hope they mod the windshields to be able to use easier available windshield glass... and.. use a modern chasis like a john deere, osh kosh or freightliner with disc brakes all around...and as a "ultimate" travco, make it a diesel pusher...
just my $.02 worth...
BBB
badbillybiker
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Travco Model: 270

Next

Return to Travco L'Esprit