How about a General Discussion section?

Please post any new ideas or sections you would like to see. This is a work in progress so PLEASE be patient.
Author
Travco Model:

How about a General Discussion section?

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:51 pm

In the "Main Discussion Areas" I think we should have a "General Discussion" section. I believe this would increase the dialog between forum members.\n There seems to be no place for community chat other than the "Off Topic" area but I believe most people shy away from posting there because of the name.

Technician
Technician
Travco Model: N/A (Site Tech!)

Re: How about a General Discussion section?

Unread post by PrivatePilot » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:27 pm

Like an "Off Topic" type forum you mean?\n\nA good idea to me, but bring it to Ace's attention as it's his sandbox here in the end. \n\nMy only suggestion would be to have a strict "No politics and religion" discussions rule, enforced strongly. Many decades of forum admin experience has shown me repeatedly that nothing can destroy a small forum's positive kinship on a mutual topic (IE, the Travco) faster than P&R discussions that go off the rails and result in bad blood amongst the membership, especially on forums with small memberships to begin with.
- Travcoforum Website Administrator\n- Helping a friend - check out Duckies Longarm Quilting in the Oshawa / Durham Region area! www.duckiesquilting.com

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:47 am

PrivatePilot wrote:Like an "Off Topic" type forum you mean?\n\nA good idea to me, but bring it to Ace's attention as it's his sandbox here in the end. \n\nMy only suggestion would be to have a strict "No politics and religion" discussions rule, enforced strongly. Many decades of forum admin experience has shown me repeatedly that nothing can destroy a small forum's positive kinship on a mutual topic (IE, the Travco) faster than P&R discussions that go off the rails and result in bad blood amongst the membership, especially on forums with small memberships to begin with.
\n\n\nP&R discussions are best left to P&R forums........

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:15 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:Like an "Off Topic" type forum you mean?\n\nA good idea to me, but bring it to Ace's attention as it's his sandbox here in the end. \n\nMy only suggestion would be to have a strict "No politics and religion" discussions rule, enforced strongly. Many decades of forum admin experience has shown me repeatedly that nothing can destroy a small forum's positive kinship on a mutual topic (IE, the Travco) faster than P&R discussions that go off the rails and result in bad blood amongst the membership, especially on forums with small memberships to begin with.
\nAnd that is about the only rule we do have here for all the reasons you listed. RV owners come from all walks of life and with all the division these days, I would like this forum to be drama free. \nJust like the idea of camping itself...leave the outside world behind, come sit by the fire,relax and enjoy some peace and serenity.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 pm

I basically created this section for that. \nhttp://www.travcoforum.com/viewforum.php?f=52\n\nWe can change the name I suppose but again, I want it made quite clear...No P&R.\nAs Private Pilot said....and he knows this as well as I do from the other forums he runs...it can get ugly. Steel Soldiers alo follows this guideline despite 90% of it's members most likely being of similar beliefs. \nIf you guys think I should rename the section, I will.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 am

I vote for a rename. I believe newcomers to the forum are hesitant to post there and really don't see anywhere else to try and converse with other members. \nSo then they shy away thinking that they must stay on a technical level to be around here? Just my theory.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:28 pm

OK, It's done. We will give it a try but Absolutely no P&R. We try and keep this place lax and not swing around the Ban hammer. pretty much the only thing around here we go after is spammers. That said, ANY P&R will earn a permanent vacation. Plenty of other places on the net for that stuff. Here we are all Travco/camping enthusiasts .\n\nhttp://www.travcoforum.com/viewforum.php?f=52

Technician
Technician
Travco Model: N/A (Site Tech!)

Unread post by PrivatePilot » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:21 pm

I edited your title a little to specifically clarify no politics/religion, hope you don't mind. People will see the forum has changed to a more generic title but won't read the actual content of your post. Having it clearly displayed in the title itself will hopefully ward off any issues with people who try to say "I didn't know".\n\nAnd ultimately your sandbox, but I'd swing the banhammer very carefully for any offences. Pretty tight knit community and losing 1 or 2 otherwise knowledgeable members over something like that would potentially have more negative effect vs positive.\n\nI'd delete the content and perhaps issue a warning on their account, sure - that'll get their attention...but an outright ban, worthy of further thought before hand. :)
- Travcoforum Website Administrator\n- Helping a friend - check out Duckies Longarm Quilting in the Oshawa / Durham Region area! www.duckiesquilting.com

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks guys! I guess time will tell on this one but it feels good to re-arrange the furniture a little.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:40 am

PrivatePilot wrote:I edited your title a little to specifically clarify no politics/religion, hope you don't mind. People will see the forum has changed to a more generic title but won't read the actual content of your post. Having it clearly displayed in the title itself will hopefully ward off any issues with people who try to say "I didn't know".\n\nAnd ultimately your sandbox, but I'd swing the banhammer very carefully for any offences. Pretty tight knit community and losing 1 or 2 otherwise knowledgeable members over something like that would potentially have more negative effect vs positive.\n\nI'd delete the content and perhaps issue a warning on their account, sure - that'll get their attention...but an outright ban, worthy of further thought before hand. :)
\nSounds good to me. You have been doing it alot longer than I have and experience counts.

Return to “Site Suggestions”